Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 01-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

HoneyLita is on a distinguished road
Default How do I do a reflective account??

HELP PLEASE!!! I am totally stuck. My assesor has asked me to do a reflective account on sorting out a conflict. I have to include the boundaries of confidentiality. Don't know where to start as I have never had a conflict with another member of staff. Its for unit 301.3 Just when I think I've finished it she wants more

Lita

Please someone help, Ive started but really haven't a clue what to put.

Last edited by HoneyLita : 01-28-2009 at 09:18 PM.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Brandy is on a distinguished road

reflective practice is taking a step back thinking about what happened, when why and how it affected you and the others concerned, reflecting on conflict with others can help you build a stronger team in the long run, why did it happen could it have been prevented, is there a comprimise, agreement you could come to? is there another approach to the problem? what could we do to change it for the better.
Kolb, [1984] describes reflective practice as a cycle of activity including the following stages:
• doing something
• reflecting on what we have done
• drawing conclusions from our reflections
changing our approach/practice in the light of our reflections

hope that helps and see whats in your confidentiality policy you could refer to that.
Unread 01-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Thankyou very much, that will help me alot. Still sat here typing out now! Just don't get why my assesor has asked me to do a reflective account. I've always got on great with my colleagues and have never had a problem. Think I shall have to do it in more of an essay style saying what I would do if it were to happen. Hoping it never will though!!
Thanks again.
x
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, it'll help by recognising that conflict doesn't always come in the shape of aggression or argument. You might also be having difficulty identifying times as resolving conflict happens so readily in your group you miss the procedures and actions occuring!

These are a few ideas to see to help identify anything you may of experienced :

A colleague/yourself asks for unplanned time off.
Explaining why there is mess / untidiness in a communal or cleaned area ..
A meeting or appointment is cancelled unexpextedly ..
A parent comes in to ask why their Child's clothing is covered in paint.
A Child asks to take home their painting - it's still wet ..

Look for things that have been asked, or where you have been provided with information - by any one who is involved with your group in one way or another and why the 'ask - information has or hasn't been acted on ..

Outlining issues of confidentialty can include - where the 'conflict occurred and how the situation was moved to a place with more privacy .. where pre-arranged meetings happen to ensure confidentiality - as Brandy recommends check to see what your own policies & procedures advise...
What information is/may be disclosed during the occasion and if that is appropriate - names, identifiable information - address, contact information, history / knowledge of third parties, promises of action, witness implications and how details/content of the conflict are handled / recorded ..

Hth

Best wishes, let us know how it goes

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:21 PM

Wow! I didn't even think of those kind of conflicts. Thankyou so much for your help.
x
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:48 PM
topaz glam

Reflective accounts shouldn't ever be essay style!! Sorry!

It should be along the lines of....today I.......
Or ...... When a colleague.......
etc.

You describe what happened (giving no names of others involved no matter what the reflective account is about)

Then you REFLECT on your practice saying what went well, what didn't go quite as planned. Your strengths & weaknesses & what you could do differently next time. Also comment if you think training or seeking advice from colleagues could help you to improve your practice in the area you're writing about.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-30-2009, 04:24 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

a really good description of what YOU did, imagine the assessor doesn't know you or your setting. then why you did it like that and how you deal with it next time how you would improve it or why it went wrong/right. remember for once its all about you!
Unread 02-03-2009, 02:36 PM

Thanks for all the help with this, got my reflections signed off last week. This course is doing my head in