Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 12-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
NCMA - subscribe or remain independant?

The National Child Minders Association - is everyone automatically expected sign up or are childminders supported in other ways in their decision to remain independant?
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-16-2006, 04:16 PM
jellybaby

i think being an NCMA member depends on the preference of individual child-minders, i am a ncma member myself, but have always been since i started child-minding 18 years ago, personally i feel that using their resources and packs such as contracts, child record forms e.t.c. looks professional, but again it's what each child-minder wants to use for their own setting.
Unread 12-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road
Default ncma

I've never felt the need to join the ncma although I'm doing their Quality First course just now and wondering if this might be the year that has to change. Not sure I need the paperwork cos mine's up-to-date and works fine for me and they cost a lot of money..... I know a lot of minders insure through them as well as belong to the ncma but I've always insured through morton michel so that's not a consideration.
Mmmmm still need some convincing to change my mind and join I think!
Sarah x
Unread 12-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

I'd like to see those that don't join up , given as much ~ if not more support ~ free access to documents/ insurance & legal issues as well as all information on local networking facilities/opportunities that are running in the childminders area.

Just not sure what is and isn't on offer at the moment ... which is perhaps one reason why the NCMA is an easier option !!?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 12-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road
Default ncma

Ruth i totally agree! As a non-member I feel I don't get any support or back-up whatsoever - all my policies, procedures, documents and other stuff have come from places I have found and researched, plus other childminders who kindly post their stuff on forums like this one. But on the plus side, I don't think any of the parents I mind for give a hoot if I'm affiliated to a big organisation or not - so long as their child is happy, making friends, playing well and produces the odd picture.... until something goes wrong.... hmmmm still undecided! Sarah x
Unread 02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
joanne_1969

hi i use Morton Michel for my minding business, look it up online, it offers everything NCMA does at a fraction of the cost!!! used it for the last 8 years its great
Unread 02-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road
Default ncma

Hi everyone , I used the ncma when I first started childminding 5 years ago, and continued using thm until last year when I realised how expensive they were and felt that they didn't offer value for money so I changed to Morton Michel where the paperwork is better[plain english] its much cheaper and just as much support is available. Its all down to personal choice in the end. Support from ncma seems to depend very much on where you live.Hi Sarah!
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:35 AM
melanieabigail2004

I started out as being a member of the NCMA but struggled to understand what we were actually getting for our money. I have since moved to Morton Michel - they are a fraction of the cost and their paperwork is good. I also have my house insurance with them. I receive information from our local NCMA office about training etc so don't feel I miss out on anything.

Mel
Unread 02-20-2009, 12:22 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

when teaching the ICP or whatever its called now we are very careful to make sure everyone knows it isn't compulsory and give out info about several providers of insurance etc.
Unread 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

bigkidz is on a distinguished road
Default Ncma

I've been childminding 7 years and have always been in ncma. I joined Blackburn & Dawen childminding network 4 years ago - you have to be in ncma to join. They support you to implement policies and you get loads of extra training opportunities and make lots of childminding friends. Since joining I've been on a training weekend at a hotel which helped develop outdoor play ideas and implemented 'Smiling for Life' (tooth-friendly initiative) in my setting. At the end of last year I went to ncma conference in Southport with my husband (also a childminder) and got some fab training and lots of freebies too. I accessed funding for all the training and events as it is all recognised as supporting my continuous professional development. Visit my website to read about our trip to the conference (it's on the last page) and their's also some links that you may find useful. Another tip - need help with policies - visit ncma website (for free, you don't need to be a member) and you can download their policies and they've just been updated to link to EYFS. Hope this info is useful.