Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Anna marie stivala is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Mitigating challenging behaviour with proactive stategies? desperate for help please!

Evening i really could do with some help i have 2 questions to do til i am finished But this particular question i keep reading and just can not get the words down to complete it, i feel like i am brain washed now i have reached the end with this last unitso here goes please help if you can i would be soooo grateful

Unit 115 0utcome3 Q2

Evaluate the effectiveness of proactive strategies on mitigating challenging behaviours. ???

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, it helps if you've identified proactive strategies that are used in your setting and then see/evaluate how well they work for everyone involved. Depending on this the following are a few ideas that you maybe familiar with ..

other threads that may help
http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14233 - identifying proactive strategies in on setting
http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13108

http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15420

http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13431

http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15841

http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15343 - general sites

Level three handbook search

Meetings - these are a proactive strategy, they enable everyone to contribute, provide information, ideas and feedback. How are meetings used to manage challenging behaviour, who is present at these meetings, what is decided and how is that implemented.

Activities & planning - how are activities planned ahead of time/proactively to interest and engage everyone, are any apects taken into account that could trigger or mitigate challenging behaviour - too few 'same resources, activity attracts too many participants, too few participants, doesn't engage in the way it was thought.

Information sharing & confidentiality: is everyone kept up to date with information that enables a proactive protection of self, others and builds on the positive relationships that helps manage damaging behaviour.

Vigilance & adult deployment - being watchful, have awareness, and ability to recognise triggers and indicators that are a possible antecedant of challenging behaviours. When evaluating a proactive group strategy such as vigilance maybe you could see how training and confidence is involved with dealing reactively with behaviour - does everyone know how to respond or intervene in ways that resolve conflict or mitigate/remove/minimise the risk of injury or harm to others, is there encouragement to adapt the environment in ways that de-escalate incidents of challenging behaviour.

What is staff deployment like, who goes where to help ensure triggers are seen and dealt with as effectively as possible, when is deployment discussed and what are the responsibilities & expectations attached to that positioning.

Modelling - be and do what you would like the children to see and understand as positive behaviour - this is seen through Albert Bandura's social learning theory of learning through watching, mimicking and imitation.

Observations - are these used to identify causes to and the possible reasoning behind incidents of challenging behaviour. An Event observation sheet records information that helps analyse what's happening:

Personalise the sheet with the child, young person's name
Date the behaviour occured
Time the behaviour occured
What occured - details of the behaviour
Place that the behaviour occured
Social grouping at the time of the behaviour
Environmental factors such as noise, light, smell, taste, touch
Signature area
Notes:
Example sheet from Tameside.org.uk

Communication - how is communication used in the setting to proactively manage challenging behaviour. Through meetings, information sharing, training does everyone know effective words and signs that can be used. Where appropriate is the individual invited to use their own words to express what they are feeling, are they given time to express these emotions, explain what they wanted, hoped to do, hoped to have or were victim to.

Training & professional development that explores the importance of consistency, whole group approach, boundary or rule setting, discussing behavioural expectations, debating the use of 'contracts, ignoring behaviour, reward and consequences as proactive and reactive behavioural management strategies.

Hth xx

CYPW unit also known as: CU1571 - HSC 3045 - Unit 115 - CYPOP 41 - promote positive behaviour
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Anna marie stivala is on a distinguished road

Thankyou so much for your response this morning i am very grateful and i am sure this information will go on to help others i am very happy to say i battled on with it last night as i was determined to complete it at 12pm i finally submitted my last lot of work! i have just had comfirmation from my assessor that i have done it I am so thrilled whoo hoo :jump: Thankyou once again i cant believe it . Kind regards Anna