Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 05-11-2007, 09:09 AM
kat-w

Default Advice please

Hello!

This has been my first week childminding.
I am already getting stuck for activities I can do with the children, my DS is 18 months and my mindee is 20 months.

Any ideas/advice?

The toys have been exhausted now, they are getting bored with them, we have toddler group and soft-play but we can't stay there all day. Any activities we can do at home?

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-11-2007, 02:16 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Have you looked in our 'Recipes' forum? There are some ideas for play dough types materials that are made from natural ingredients - you wouldn't have to worry about any tasters then!

Also check out 'The Senses' forum for some great ideas.

Build A Tent In Your Garden and adapt it for indoors.

Noisemakers

My DD loved getting a big bowl of dried peas or beans and plastic spoons and cups, wooden utensils etc and just stirring and generally making a mess - but because they're dried and fairly large the beans/peas are very easy to find when it's tidy up time. :jump:

Hope this helps.
Tracey.
Unread 05-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

Hi Kat! Have you got the Birth to 3 and Foundation Stage packs from Dfes? They are full of ideas for activities to get you started
Look at -

http://www.123child.com/
http://www.themouseclub.co.uk/
www.under5s.co.uk

Plus Cbeebies, topicbox, and loads more all of which have stuff that can be adapted for the under2s with a bit of imagination... you'll soon find yourself with more activities than you know what to do with! Do you have a minding mentor? She should be able to give you some bits to get you started... find a good playdough recipe and goop - there were some on here yesterday - if you sit and play with them they'll be there for ages!

Build up your files cos they dont' stay little for long! good luck and ask again if there's anything else

Sarahx :reading:
Unread 05-23-2007, 02:15 PM
vik3000

Hi
Have you tried making up a weekly planner? You don't have to rigidly stick to it but it will give you an idea of things to work around.
I pinch ideas from playgroup, nursery and school to adapt for my younger children.
Lots of songs and rhymes - have you got a local toy library and story sack group? Get in touch with your local childrens center, see whats on a your leisure center or play activity places or library ( you can hunt down entertainment books too) Halve you toys and put one half away and rotate them (or perhaps that only works in my house seeing as I could give Toys r us a run for their money lol)

Pick a theme for the week and work around that. Don't forget free play time too.
If you have a garden how about some sand and/or water play now the weather is good?