Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 11-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

dkredbaron is on a distinguished road
Default level 3 is it enough???

Just wanted to know how you all feel about these nvqs is a level 3 enough to be in a supervisory position??I have just had the week from hell one of my level 3s made a big mistake and with out going into it too much i think she forgot everything she learnt from her level3.she put the children's safety at risk and as a level 3 should know better.as a level 3 she is allowed to supervise the children on her own,i feel that the level 3 qualification is not enough and should be a assistants qualification with a higher one brought in for supervisors what are your views on this?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-29-2009, 07:36 PM

pip squeak is on a distinguished road

Level 3 is a very sound qualification for the supervisory role with hands of practice. Is is the way it is being delivered! In many cases with no training, and treated as a race for completion. Awarding bodies gave this award 15-18 months completion when it first came out. Bit by bit timescales are getting shorter and shorter forced upon training providers by funding streams.

Many training providers have complained .. to a brick wall, now it is time for the customers to complain ie. childcare settings. Please do, this has always been my concern speeding up these awards is putting children at risk
Unread 11-29-2009, 08:58 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

its not the qualification its the scenario and its a mistake. we all make them. if we make them to often then its down to the manager to intervene. BUT if she learnt on train to gain or a similar course where she didnt have to go to college for a year then its the fault of the person who sent her and the source who funded her. cheap qualifications make **** practitioners. and to be honest come sept its all changing and lets hope its the end of train to gain, and a return to class based education with experiential monitored placements.
Unread 11-29-2009, 11:43 PM

dkredbaron is on a distinguished road

I totally agree they are being pushed through so quick and i think this is the problem!I do realise that we all make mistakes we are all learning and continue to do so,but when it puts the children's safety at risk it makes me question things.i now have to make sure this doesnt happen again.
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

daisypops is on a distinguished road

:soapbox:At my old workplace, the new Supervisor - who has got every qualification going - has made lots of mistakes... left doors open / child escaped / insulted parents / left cleaning stuff on the table / bags not put away etc. Parents have complained about her rudeness to the school... yet comes down on the rest of the staff if they so much as smile to each other! Common sense - she has none!
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

nic86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
its not the qualification its the scenario and its a mistake. we all make them. if we make them to often then its down to the manager to intervene. BUT if she learnt on train to gain or a similar course where she didnt have to go to college for a year then its the fault of the person who sent her and the source who funded her. cheap qualifications make **** practitioners. and to be honest come sept its all changing and lets hope its the end of train to gain, and a return to class based education with experiential monitored placements.

I totally agree
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

kirkycharlie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
am sorry to disagree with you on this but at the end of the day it doesnt matter if the l3 was a train to gain or a class bassed IT could of still happened
train to gain is just as good as a class bassed education and personally i must perfer a train to gain as you get the qualifaction and knowladge as well as the experience.
most jobs you apply for now ask for experience as well as the knowladge but as you are awear new things are coming in from time to time ie: eyfs
i suppose everyone has their own views
Unread 01-31-2010, 10:49 PM

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

Was she at your setting while she completed her training?
I'm inclined to agree with kirkycharlie on the job training is much more valuable rather than sitting in a classroom taking notes. I think classroom based training should be for those who are totally new to the job and have no experience but i think for people already in the job this isn't neccesary. When i took my first nvq i had been in the job 3 years the person teaching me hadn't worked in a setting for over 5 years and i found myself questioning a lot of what she was trying to teach i found outdated