Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 01-04-2008, 01:16 PM
hattyhar

Default Support for children with Dyslexia

Dear Everyone

One in ten children will have Dyslexia or have some Dyslexic tendencies. Research shows that many people who leave school with little or no qualifications are dyslexic. Test have also shown that many of the people who are being held in UK prisons are dyslexic.

There is no cure for dyslexia and people often struggle to cope with difficulties throughout their lives.

As Dyslexia and Dyslexic tendencies are hereditary these difficulties will all be passed on to our children and our children's children. If your partner is dyslexic any children you will have will have some dyslexic tendancies.

Below is a link to a Petition on the 10 Downing Street website to acknowledge the rights of dyslexic people and to provide adequate screening and support.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Dyslexic/

Please do sign this petition if you feel strongly about this issue, and forward this email on to others you feel will also feel strongly about it.

Thank you

hattyhar

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Jayne

I have this trouble a little, mainly with spelling, missing the odd letter out. I find I make more mistakes when stressed and also find it hard to read on bright colours, especially green, back and red. I did get plenty of qualifications, but my teachers would keep me after school to work on my spelling. I have always been able to cope with it and would of hated the other kids to know I had a problem, kids are cruel sometimes and i'm so glad I knew nothing about dyslexia then or I wouldn't have felt normal. People joke about it now on some forums and it really bugs me. My Grandad was like me and he was a top train engineer and really brainy. Also Richard Branson has it too and I have read that dyslexic people are intelligent, I know i'm not stupid or a criminal. I may be naughty now and again, but within the law:rotfl:

Three cheers for Google spell check

Jayne
Unread 01-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

The Children's Plan Press Release about additional funding for Dyslexic Children from DCSF - Dept for Children, Schools & Famillies is a positive step forwards. Although I'm not personally convinced focusing on reading skills .. in the way the title 'Every Child a Reader' possibly promotes, is a way to improve or understand the problems involved with dyslexia. imo of course .. I'm going to have make a disclaimer smilie lol

The Petition title makes good sense, working with those on the frontline of any disability is how to channel funds appropriately !!

This page has information on Adults with dyslexia.
They should have more doorways open to them so that they too can bring their experiences into educational workplaces.

There are a few dyslexic websites out there they are more frontline but the BDA seems to be the one with the most comprehensive overview - British Dyslexic Association

Hattyhar in training for Hospital playwork is there a course 'check list for understanding what sort of communication problems the children may have when being admitted to the ward ?

Do you know if they'll have access to Contact point data or use the CRS ~ Patient Care Record system (*grabs NPfIT acronym list again lol) ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
I have this trouble a little, mainly with spelling, missing the odd letter out. I find I make more mistakes when stressed and also find it hard to read on bright colours, especially green, back and red. I did get plenty of qualifications, but my teachers would keep me after school to work on my spelling. I have always been able to cope with it and would of hated the other kids to know I had a problem, kids are cruel sometimes and i'm so glad I knew nothing about dyslexia then or I wouldn't have felt normal. People joke about it now on some forums and it really bugs me. My Grandad was like me and he was a top train engineer and really brainy. Also Richard Branson has it too and I have read that dyslexic people are intelligent, I know i'm not stupid or a criminal. I may be naughty now and again, but within the law:rotfl:

Three cheers for Google spell check

Jayne
I say three cheers for dyslexia if its in any way helped make you .. you

Labels are rotten and should in no way be used to category box people on living day to day ... or anything else that may eventually be discovered to have dyslexia !!
It is about speed .. slow down expectation and learning will increase - take away the stress & pressure and with guidance things will come more naturally .. I made one !! isclaimer:use with care
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Jayne

We are doing spelling next week in my new job and one is a little worried

Jayne :rotfl: