Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 05-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

bookpixie is on a distinguished road
play work principles!

i was just wondering if any one else had problems with with questions in each unit asking how the playwork principles relate to them?
no matter how hard I try I cant seem to memorize the 8 p.w.p's and how to relate them to:
develop and maintain a health safe and secure environment for children.

reflect on and develop practice.

develop and promote positive relationships.

plan and support self directed play.

play development.

any ideas anyone I just need a for example ANY Help would as always be massively helpful

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

akel1111 is on a distinguished road

Playwork principles
These principles establish the professional and ethical framework for playwork, and describe what is unique about play and playwork, and provide the playwork perspective for working with children and young people.
They are based on the recognition that children and young people’s capacity for positive development will be enhanced if given access to the broadest range of environments and play opportunities:

1. All children and young people need to play. The impulse to play is innate. Play is a biological, psychological and social necessity, and is fundamental to the healthy development and well being of individuals and communities.

2. Play is a process that is freely chosen, personally directed and intrinsically motivated. That is, children and young people determine and control the content and intent of their play, by following their own instincts, ideas and interests, in their own way for their own reasons.

3.The prime focus and essence of playwork is to support and facilitate the play process and this should inform the development of play policy, strategy, training and education.

4. For playworkers, the play process takes precedence and playworkers act as advocates for play when engaging with adult led agendas.

5. The role of the playworker is to support all children and young people in the creation of a space in which they can play.

6. The playworker's response to children and young people playing is based on a sound up to date knowledge of the play process, and reflective practice.

7. Playworkers recognise their own impact on the play space and also the impact of children and young people’s play on the playworker.

8. Playworkers choose an intervention style that enables children and young people to extend their play. All playworker intervention must balance risk with the developmental benefit and well being of children.

You don't need to memorise the Playwork Principles. After each completed unit you could look at each of the eight principles and say how you have fulfilled them .

For example, say you have provided large cardboard boxes and old sheets for the children . You could then look at the principles and say how you have fulfilled some (if not all0 of them.
The boxes and sheets were used by the children to make a den. The children thought up making a den for themselves. I did not intervene except when asked to or when I saw that I could help e.g. I provided scissors and sellotape. The principles I fulfilled were:
5. The role of the playworker is to support all children and young people in the creation of a space in which they can play. and
2. Play is a process that is freely chosen, personally directed and intrinsically motivated. That is, children and young people determine and control the content and intent of their play, by following their own instincts, ideas and interests, in their own way for their own reasons.

I really hope this helps you
Good luck
Ann
Unread 05-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi a warm welcome to the site, glad you made it in ok

Great reply already given

For other reader's reference this is the page outlining the playwork principles from Skillsactive - Playwork principles the current NOS - national occupational standards for Lv 3 playwork and a job description - Hospital playwork

I'm not sure this way of approaching it will help, or how much information you're expected to provide for Lv3 sorry but I'd be inclined to break the principles down into their individual statements eg.

PLAYWORK PRINCIPAL 1
All children and young people need to play.
The impulse to play is innate
Play is biological
psychological
a social necessity
It is fundamental to healthy development
It is fundamental to the well being of individuals
and fundamental to communities.

and then really get to grips with what each statement involves.
This way you'll have a much more fluent understanding of what they all mean to you as an individual, in your practice and how they relate when questioned - are you able to reference each principle as a quote or source as you go along through your written work for the nvq?

The Oxon play association website is a really good read and on their play resource page there's a poster download that defines the principles a little more into everyday practice - Oxonplay.org.uk

I hope it helps a little, please let us know how it goes

Enjoy the site xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

bookpixie is on a distinguished road

thanks for the welcome and the help ladies! meeting my tutor for possibly the last time later today wish me luck!