Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 06-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

kittykatty2000 is on a distinguished road
Accident Books

I went on a Health and Safety training course today, and the bloke who was training us started to talk about accident books and it got me thinking.

He said that anybody who have an accident book must also have a seperate file where they can place the written copy instead of keeping it in the book.
At my place we have a duplicate accident book so parents have a copy and we have a copy, but our copy always stays in the accident book.
Does anybody keep their copies in a seperate file or do you also keep yours in the accident book still?

I am thinking of going to my manager to update her as the bloke says if we keep the copy in the accident book it is breaching the Data Protection Act.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-14-2009, 11:08 AM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

childminders are way ahead here they have triplicate books for everything one for the file one for the book one for the parents.
Unread 06-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sparky is on a distinguished road

Ours are on individual sheets. The parents signs it and then it is filed in the child's individual file in our filing cabinet.

Ofsted were happy with what we did.
Unread 06-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

kittykatty2000 is on a distinguished road

Are childminders allowed to keep a copy in the book then, because the bloke said if you keep it in the accident book it is breaching the Data Protection Act as if you leave out where someone could get to it, they could read through the book and read up on what other children have done, what is poor data protection and OFSTED won't be happy to see a copy in the book.
Unread 06-14-2009, 02:03 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

ofsted will be perfectly happy if of course and i am sure you are keeping all your records in a locked cabinet. the trainer obv isn't to clear on the DP act.
Unread 06-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

sarahcentral is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Ours are on individual sheets. The parents signs it and then it is filed in the child's individual file in our filing cabinet.
We do this too
Unread 06-14-2009, 05:59 PM

cabin is on a distinguished road

The trainer may be talking about some of the 'older' style books (which they do still make) which have more than one accident entered on each page.

We have single A4 sheets which are kept with children's files.

xxx
Unread 06-15-2009, 08:26 AM

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

As a childminder, I have individual sheets that I print out myself.

I photocopy them for parents and then put the original in the child's file.

The file is locked away.

This satisfied Ofsted in the past