Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > EY's Downloadable Documents

EY's Downloadable Documents Find a wide variety of working documents to download and support daily practice - indexs, policies, assessments and more

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 04-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

lizalou is on a distinguished road
Indoor risk assessment - example sheet, downloadable link included

Hi Guys,
I need someones valuable advice on indoor risk assessments. Am off school at present and assessor coming in the first morning back ,so will not get time to pick anyones brain at work. Can anyone point me in the direction of a blank copy and information necessary. Never had to do one before so unsure what it needs. Many Thanks.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, if you've no risk assessments to use as a guide, then you can build one from the beginning - good for developing later if you wanted to .. make up a table, in word - doc. or open office maybe ..

Have approx 6 columns with titles - Area - Risk - Who is at risk & of what - First aid - Actions taken to prevent risk - Signatory area, date & notes.

Make as many rows and categories as you feel necessary eg. kitchen, toilets, corridor / hall or cloakroom, playroom ..
and begin filling in the areas, you'll notice that things done to prevent risk end up carrying risk of their own, which is where checks and organising maintenance can come in ..

This is a quick idea of what I mean .. example risk assessment.doc

please note that I use the object as the element of risk and H&S / first aid as the course for dealing with its associated risk, rather than using what's listed under first aid/H&S as the actual risk.. which it is

From there you can use the details to put together a daily / ongoing check sheet/list and if needed a faults and report sheet to track areas of breakdown and organise repairs or new items.

If anyone formats their assessment templates differently and includes other information please add on ..

Hope this helps, lots more ideas available if you search online for risk assessment form xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

lizalou is on a distinguished road

Cheers thanks. Your help was invaluable. Now had it signed off. Thanks
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Terri-Claire

Hiya,

I am having trouble doing this i really want to do it, i am doing it on a classroom but im unsure wht to write for hazard if anyone can help please help
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Have a look around the classroom and see what you think could potentially be a hazard such as:

Are there any radiators with the on/off caps missing? if so these could be a pottenial hazard if a child fell onto one (eyes).

Are safety sockets covers used in the classroom, if it is a recption class?

If stepladders are used by adults to place displays up - are these removed straight away after using them?

Is the floor kept uncluttered to prevent children/adults from having accidents?

Look around your classroom and see if you can see any other danger/hazzards.
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Smile

great reply already, the problem you may encounter is how the majority of risks have already been minimised, or indeed how safe the room already feels. Check what doorstops are in place, is there a door monitor system - someone holds the door open whilst a line of children leaves the room: preventing squashed fingers/bumped head, enabling a count, ensuring room is empty and aside from risk promoting consideration , check where your fire exit is, where the extinguisher, first aid or cleaning materials are, if storage cupboards are stacked with resources do they need continual checking to prevent toppling. You could also ask if the room has its own assessment in place that you may find compliments what you notice about the areas.

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Terri-Claire

Thanks so much for all your help and advice.
Unread 12-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

amanda is on a distinguished road

Carpet mats can also be a hazard, i.e ,edges turned up, child could trip.
Making sure all spillages are dried up, around water tray and paint in the art area at the easle could spill on to the floor, make sure all is cleaned up. Have a look around the classroom and try to look at things from a childs level, you would be surprised what you would come up with.
Unread 05-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

gracygrey is on a distinguished road
Default Indoor Risks.

Hi,

Have just finished the outdoor risk assessment for our setting and have to do the indoor one by 25th.
The previous play leader had such a load of paperwork on the risk assessment but I could not find a clear concise one that was easy to use and evaluate/update if required.
So my plan is to start from scratch and use the room layout plan to divide the assessment into those areas ie: home corner, construction area, sand/water play. Would that be suitable?
Never done any risk assessments before so any advice gratefully received

Thank you

Last edited by gracygrey : 05-20-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: posted before finished
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Sounds like an excellent idea the HSE wesbite - five steps risk assessment will also help xx

Best wishes with it
the cost of ad blockers