Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Preschool themes and topics > Popular early years themes and children's topics of interest > Animals

Animals Farms, wild or captive, domestic - what other activities have you done to cover this subject?

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 02-01-2006, 11:59 PM
Toni

Crossfingers Wild and farm animals

Anyone have any ideas for wild animals and farm animals craft activities please? :frog:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-02-2006, 12:34 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Strange! I'm literally taking a break from making a tiger mask while the little 'un has a nap! This is what we're doing....

I've torn/cut the bottom 1/2 off a paper plate, then measured and cut eyeholes (fairly important I feel! ). It's been painted yellow and is now drying. When Jade is up we'll glue strips of orange and yellow tissue and paper round the edges, draw on some whiskers and I'll either attach some ribbon to fasten it or glue it onto a lolly stick. If I use ribbon I'll be painting her nose black! I've just realised we haven't any ears, so we'll just cut 2 triangles, paint and attach! Ta-da!
Unread 02-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Toni

Thank you we shall make the plate masks to be animals for PE activity. Still need loads of ideas as have 6 weeks on animals in general for themed activities (pre-school) and animals in our local environment for science (YR children). We are very rural with lots of farms around us so will definately be doing something with baby lambs, calfs and chicks - which hopefully will lead very nicely into Easter and new life!
Unread 02-03-2006, 12:16 PM

Quick update on the plate masks. We haven't got any poster paint, so used those cheap kids round paint tablets and we now have yellow and orange dust and fingerprints all over! So make sure it won't rub off easily and if anyone has any ideas on how to fix the paint I'd be grateful. Might try hairspray....well it works on pastels!?!

Tracey
Unread 02-03-2006, 10:30 PM
nic

try mixing PVA glue in with your paint
a good book to work around is 'rumble in the jungle'

Last edited by nic : 02-03-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Unread 02-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Toni

I was going to suggest PVA as well - we add this to our paint quite often, especially if we want a shiny finish.
Good suggestion Nic, I have just finished drawing some of the animals for Rumble in the Jungle. We are turning the home corner into a jungle and the children will be painting the animals in the story to put around the walls. They will also be making vines and flowers. We are using a green net on the ceiling with vines, snakes etc., hanging down. The children will bring in their own cuddly animals from home to play with in the jungle.
By each of the animals I will be printing the verse from the book. The last page is to be a large card for when the area is closed each evening.:frog:
Unread 02-04-2006, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the PVA tip, I'll give it a go. Clare posted about the Rumble In The Jungle book a few days ago and it's definately on my shopping list.

Thanks Guys.