Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 01-08-2015, 12:01 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Egglett22 is on a distinguished road
Default Attachments

I need help on these 2 questions :/ I don't understand how to word them and everything I seem to write is wrong. Feel like I have hit a brick wall and my head has stopped working and turned into mush

Analyse the impact on children of not forming positive attachments

&

Analyse strategies for promoting positive attachments.

Thanks x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi welcome to the site. If you research attachment theory - John Bowlby and Mary Ainsworth you'll see the potential damage not having close, trusting and supportive relationships can have on a child's welfare, wellbeing, their outlook on life and their personal outcomes - ECM

"Separation anxiety - a term used to describe the stages of distress that occur if a baby is separated from their primary attachment"
Quote: pg 411 CACHE Level 3 Early Years Educator for the Work-Based Learner 2014

In helping to analyse strategies you could consider any ideas that promote positive attachments, this might be the setting having a personal, social and emotional approach underpinning their provision, a key person system (which in eyfs is based on the work of James & Joyce Robertson) or any similar system/effort that ensures adults other than a child's primary caregiver are familiar to them, consistent, non-judgemental and warm figures in children's lives, consider how observations about children's development happen in your setting or placement, if home visits happen, maybe there's a box for comforters/favourite toys to be brought into the setting, does the recruitment process make sure responsive, caring and genuinely interested adults surround each and every child daily - if in England this implicates the suitable persons section of EYFS, for information about positive relationships search for the keyword positive within the framework - EYFS 2014 and also within the development matters guidance for a little more clarity.

Theory - how children learn
and child development book on amazon.co.uk

Impact of insecure attachment or deprivation of secure attachments could involve, distress, upset, emotional and physical withdrawal, anger, frustration, lack of self confidence, low self esteem, difficulty forming relationships which impacts sharing, turn taking, listening, rule setting, weigh up choices during dilemmas and decision making, reduced sense of value, self worth and identity.

Debunking the behaviourist theory that children would automatically attach to adults that fed and cared for their physical needs. Harry Harlow's acutely controversial cloth & wire experiment examined if baby rhesus monkey's whose needs are likened to a human baby's needs, would seek out the comfort of a cloth covered, man-made monkey figure that didn't give food against that of a wire framed man-made monkey figure that did provide food. Study and outcome on uoregon.edu and excellent listening on BBC radio show Mind Changers. This study gave voice & volume to the understanding that children are more about emotional and social intellect than hunger, hygiene and thirst.

Can you ask your course provider if they recommend any specific reading or have handouts to support you in this?

Best wishes xx
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 05-30-2017 at 10:22 PM. Reason: link fixed
Unread 01-08-2015, 11:44 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Egglett22 is on a distinguished road

Thank you !! This helped a lot !! I am just doing about Mary ainsworth, I think she is harder to research that Bowlby! All I have read about is the 'Strange Situation' test! x
Unread 05-30-2017, 08:46 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

T22row is on a distinguished road

I am currently researching James and Joyce Robertson surrounding bonding and attachment, emotional well being and developing secure relationships. I am find it really hard to put it all together as google just really concentrates on their films. Can anyone help???
Unread 05-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi welcome to the site. There is mention of James Robertson in the How Children Learn book 1 where, working as a psychiatric social worker he was approached by John Bowlby due to the films he had made of children expressing distress when separated from their parents in hospital. If you search for 'robertson' in the amazon look inside feature click the link to pages 44 and 45

There's also biographical information on their website http://www.robertsonfilms.info/ :)

Hope this helps a little, have you asked your tutor if they have any literature they expect you to study or book recommendations? xx
the cost of ad blockers