Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 03-05-2014, 07:25 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road
Default Who is over 24 without GCSE maths and english?

because if you are you can't do the level 3 from now on. You cannot get the 24 plus loan to fund you OR if you fund yourself you can't get license to practice until you have the GCSEs. So what was the point of doing your level 2? Under 24 you're fine you can do them as part of your course (which will increase your study 3 fold) but adults are now discriminated against unless you have the GCSEs already. What an inclusive profession this is.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Staggering, with Mr Gove's incessant quest for a nation of mini-me's I'd say this is meerly another dead bird's feather in his cap
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:09 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

I have 80 level 2s already applied for and enrolled onto level 3 for sept. about 6 have GCSEs the rest have done level 1 FS with their level 2. They are now in limbo. Its a disgrace and CACHE etc are just letting it happen. Was with 100 tutors today sat at the back of the room watching them all realise that their students were stuffed and their jobs in jeopardy which college is going to keep a team on for a year whilst learners go and get gcses?
Unread 04-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

wightlass is on a distinguished road

I just completed one level 2 last yr, nearly through 2nd one. I have hit this problem so i am re taking my English and maths gcse, as of dept then doing level 3 once i have finished my GCSEs
Unread 04-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Naomi2013 is on a distinguished road

i left school with no gcse i got told if i did the functional skills level 2 maths and english through college its equivilant to a a-c grade in gcse.
im doing a stls course at the moment at level 2 im hoping to do my level 3 in sept i have passed my level 2 maths functional skills.
im doing my level 2 functional skills in english so im hoping i wil pass it when i have my exam.
Unread 04-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Rantiki is on a distinguished road

I am coming up on 39 and have neither English or Maths GCSE, luckily for me I started GCSE English the same year I began Level 2 Childcare and my expected grade is an A to A*. In fact despite over two decades out of academia I have shown I have an aptitude for English and have been advised to pursue an English Degree to use as a stepping stone to QTS.

I am doing Maths GCSE next year but I have hit on the same problem, in order to do the Early Years Educator Level 3 I must pay for it with no help in order to do Maths GCSE alongside. I have been given a price of between four and five thousand for the 18 month course.

I am willing to pay this as I am already approaching forty, I don't want to wait a year, and academically I can manage the two courses simultaneously. Also lets not beat about the bush a degree is now about fifteen thousand, I didn't expect this to come without a cost.

However to advise other, be honest with yourself, if you had trouble at any point with level two, would you be able to do your GCSE's concurrently with level three. They are not easy and take a lot of dedication as well as with English especially controlled assessments taking up most of the year. If you had any trouble with level two, either with understanding or completing the assignments in time I personally would take the year out and do Maths and English.

My college is signing up for the old level three as so many of our class do not feel they are capable of gaining pass grades in Maths and English. Is this also a choice for you, I would advice sitting down with higher management and discussing options before you make a solid plan.