Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 12-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road
Default Nvq3 Ccld

Hi! just started my nvq3 before Christmas, apparently my assessor knows no other childminders in my area who are working towards this, so would really appreciate some support from anyone, especially other childminders who are doing this too! I don't want to be alone! Happy new year all!:reading:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-29-2006, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

lol never alone I know Cybertwin is doing her FD and Muggy has finished her NVQ3.. so fingers crossed they'll be able to help out with specific questions .. GOOD LUCK with it and ask away ...
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 12-29-2006, 12:49 AM
jellybaby

Default nvq 3.

hi watgem! i'm doing nvq3 as well, i started mine in november, and have nearly finished my 1st unit (302.) sorry, not in your area, but keep in touch anyway!, also i will let you know how mine is going, my assesser is visiting next week.
Unread 12-29-2006, 10:04 AM
cybertwin

hi
i did my level 3 a few years ago, and as ruthie said am trying the foundation degree! so.....please ask and i will try to impart advice

good luck! it is worth it in the end
Unread 12-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Muggy

From Muggy

Hi,

I would be more than happy to help you if I can, but the whole thing is very different from when I finished. The new one covers age range 0-16 years, whereas the one I did only covers 0-8 years and the questions are worded very differently. Now, the ranges are incorporated into the PCs, I think, or something like that anyway!

If you want to ask anything, don't refer to the PC numbers, coz they will be completely different to what I knew and loved (LOL!!)

But feel free to ask anything and I will try to help!

xxx
Unread 12-29-2006, 09:34 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm doing 302 as well, my first assessment is in 2 weeksb but I'd really like to do an optional unit on babies and under threes first while the baby I care for is still a baby, do you think its ok if I ask the assessor if I could do loads of work on the health and safety to get started but switch to an optional unit asap? Good luck to everyone who is studying especially if you're working as well and thanks again!
Unread 12-30-2006, 10:57 AM
cybertwin

we were able to do our optional units alongside the college taught ones. just tell the assessor what you are doing in the plan when she visits.
we had all the standards when we started the course, do they still do this, so we had the bits for the optional units so we could start on them straight away if we wanted to.
maybe this would be an idea, work out what you want her to see and get her to write it up now then you will have another unit under your belt.

hope thismakes sence
sarah
Unread 12-30-2006, 06:54 PM

Thanks thats a great help. The handbook says to start with the optional units and then much of what you do can be signed off against the standards in the compulsory units, its just that with the new maternity leave laws coming in in 2007 I don't think there'll be as many oppurtunities to work with smaller babies as there has been in the past and as I'm caring for a younger baby right now it seems to make sense to cover some of those units. Good luck next week Jellybaby! Let me know how it went
Unread 12-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Muggy

We did our optional units last - probably because we couldnt decide what to do til the last minute!

Makes sense that you should do the baby unit while you have a baby with you.

I started with the 'Provide for childrens physical needs' one (was C2, not sure what it is now) as this was suggested to have been the most straightforward unit dealing with hygeine, food/diet, safe environment, etc.

I would go with whatever you feel comfortable with....

:reading:
Unread 01-07-2007, 03:36 PM
jellybaby

hiya watgem! saw my assesser last week, she was quite impressed that i had finished a whole unit! (took me nearly all day during one of my 'xmas' days off!) anyway, i'm starting at the beginning of the compulsory units, ploughing through 301, dealing with 'positive relationships, it was actually 303 i got through and not 302, but will get there! keep plugging away!