Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Katy Oxo is on a distinguished road
Help SOS CYP 3.3 advice for question rework

Hi,

I've been asked to rework one of my questions after submitting to my tutor. I struggled with getting my head around these 3 questions and thought I'd got it, but alas no!

6. What factors need to be considered when ensuring children and young people are protected from harm in the work setting?
- People - staff levels, adult:child ratio, qualifications/experience, CRB checks, visitors
- Risks - kids need to take risks in a controlled way, talked about risk assessment, risks and hazards, gave an example of a situation with a risk and what to do about it.
- Children - age, needs, abilities and general behaviour.
- Activities - length and complexity along with the environment, school v's off site trip.

7. Identify four policies/procedures that are used to protect children and young people and the adults who work with them.
- Whistle blowing - explained the policy, the purpose and how it protects adults (whistle blower and accused) and children
- Risk Assessments - explained the process, why we use it and how it works to protect everyone
- Health and Safety - explained what the policy is, what it contains and how we employ it in class
- Behaviour - outlined the expectations on childrens behaviour and why we expect them to behave like that to prevent bullying, dangerous games etc. How it relates to adults with demonstrating appropriate behaviuor, dealing with bullying and equal treatment of all pupils.

8. Discuss four points of good practice to ensure a worker is working safely and protecting both themselves and the pupils.
- Working in an open and transparent way - not being alone with children, working in open areas of the school, no closed doors etc. Effectiveness of having other adults being able to verify what you've done. Easier in modern schools due to layout etc.
- Minimising physical contact - physical contact is necessary to a degree to build trust, more necessary with younger children. Explained how to handle cuddles etc and when they are appropriate. Following common sense with physical contact and maintaining appropriate boundaries, whilst still ensuring children feel cared for.
- Listening to children and young people - importance, children need to feel listened to in order to feel valued, children need to feel they can talk to adults about worries including bullying. Possible to get lots of info about kids just from everyday conversations.
- Behaviour - adults demonstrating appropriate behaviour, role models, consistent and approachable. Diff sometimes, when patience is tested (we're only human and have limits), training in how to handle difficult situations is important, referenced Bandura's theory and how our behaviour influences children's.

The comment from my tutor is that I need to rework question 8 as I've used behaviour as a policy in question 7. I'd rather rework question 7 and use a different policy! I'm a bit stuck on another point of good practice that isn't going to overlap what I've said already. Thought of not being alone with children, but that's sort of covered in transparent working. Then thought maybe I could use hygiene as a point of good practice, but not sure that's enough.

Would anybody be able to offer some pointers please?

Thanks.
xx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM

Could I use 'Sharing Concerns' as an appropriate good practice? I can see how it would be helpful, but not sure my reasoning on how it protects children and adults is particularly good.
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

mother theresa is on a distinguished road

Instead of the behaviour bit could you not say you follow your health and safety policies e,g manual handling, washing hands using gloves and aprons etc for changing nappies so reducing cross infection
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, sharing information is good, it's one of the most valuable ways a practitioner ensures the safety of the children, can check or be reaassured they're following procedure & recieve organisational support, it also shows how it forms part of a setting's aim to work inclusively & have a multi-agency approach to practice.

Guidance for safer working practice for adults who work with children and young people - google search might have helpful reading, maybe ask to see if you're expected to include quotes from acts or documents that support best practice?

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:01 AM

Thanks Mother Theresa and Ruthierhyme. I decided to go with my instinct and use the good practice of sharing concerns. Fingers crossed my tutor is happy with it and it gets signed off so I can get the next unit done before the school holidays.

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice as I'm still in the early days with my course.
xx
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM

Ruthierhyme, I've just found a fabulous document that lists everything I need via Google. Shame I didn't find it last week!!

Thank you so much again for the advice.
xx