Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 11-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Smartypants

Default Diversity?

As some of you know im a childminder and on my Ofsted Visit i got "GOOD" in all aspects but need more things on "Diversity" can anyone help?????
I have looked online for empathy dolls and dolls with disabilities but there are so expensive!!

Thanks Kate

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-10-2006, 09:22 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, toughie! The only thing I can think of immediately is making your own puppets from wooden spoons and painting them to resemble different ethnicities. Does this help at all??? I will go away and have another think!
Unread 11-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya .. Diversity is such a HUGE area I'd start small and erm cheap lol

The best & easiest way to cover lots of topics is to laminate A4 picture/posters and tac them up all around your home.

Flip chart books with pics are good as are make your own Jigsaws .
Simple matching cards ....
Wheelchairs - Ramps
Guidedog - Blindness
Deafness - Hearing loop sign & Signing resources.

Persona/empathy dolls are good .. but as you say are really expensive ! Any puppet is brilliant though & can have it's own life story to interact with the children.

Sari's & ethnic dressing up clothes.

Having a recipe book (written evidence for OFSTED as always :wink:) with a range of categorised recipes in is great you can cover areas like Vegetarian diets, Diatetics, Allergies, Ethnic foods.

You definitely live and learn with diversity .. only today a friend & I wondered about a green button that we found on the bus (had a wheelchair icon on it) but we didn't press it, so still don't know what would of happened lol

Hth a bit
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road

Hi smartypants you could try ebay for cheap resources, also check out chelltunes website for signing books/videos also borrow books from the library, like Topsy and Tim talk to children while you're out ie if you pass the Chinese take away and see if any of the children have ever tried chinese food, make some and set up a cafe role play area for example you just need to make sure its not "tokenistic"[sorry not sure if thats a real word!] watch "Something special" with Mr Tumble on cbeebies but please don't spend too much money because a lot of the toys don't have much play value. ps early learning centres ethnic dolls house family includes grandparents I think they are having one of their discount promotions at the moment if you quote star.
Unread 11-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Smartypants

Thank you so much for your imfo ladies
I have got paper craft Multi cultural Bitty Bodies, hair, clothes from ebay, which the children love sticking and making there own pictures, also world map puzzles, pictutres of people with disabilities which i could make into games..
I am looking at cultural foods, where they come from? Food tasting ect
Little Bill books which are great, cultural and imformation on every day life.

If you think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks Very Much Kate x
Unread 11-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthierhyme View Post
Hiya .. Diversity is such a HUGE area I'd start small and erm cheap lol

Deafness - Hearing loop sign & Signing resources.
:rotfl:
Unread 11-27-2006, 05:39 PM
earlyideas

Default Empathy Dolls

Hi! I run a training company for early years professionals and our 2 hour Empathy Doll workshop is ideal for childminders as the cost includes a doll to take away free!!!! www.earlyideas.co.uk for more info of courses in your area

Kirstine :o)
Unread 11-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi Kirstine, welcome to Silkysteps .. If you would like to make an introductory post about yourself and your business please pop into our Websites forum.

I do know a few of our members have experienced Personna and empathy doll training through their early years department .. although comment has also been made about how expensive the course is for a single group to undertake... I notice you have a forum on your site, do you plan to stage any question ~ answer type events ?

Look forward to hearing from you and enjoy Silkysteps
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Happy Times

This is a good site for resources and they also send you details about different festivals if you sign up for their newsletter: www.theequaloppshop.co.uk

Victoria