Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums

Early Years Discussion Forums share and read professional working experiences from the UK EYs sector and further afield. CYPW learners and Early Years Educators, preschool practitioners, reception and KS1 teachers, childminders, parents and playworkers a very warm welcome to you all

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 07-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Bex01 is on a distinguished road
Default My first interview, I need help, please

Hi all,
I've not posted on here for some time but I use the advise constantly. I'm in process of studying for my Cache 3 children and young peoples workforce and I'm getting on ok.
As luck would have it I have stumbled upon a job going at my local children's centre for an assistant.....and surprise, surprise I managed to get an interview, I'm sooo shocked .
Apart from the obvious panic I have been advised that my interview activity is to read a story to 10 three to five year olds, it is to last 15 mins and can involve props. OMG!!!!!!!
I've read a number of threads on here and I like the idea of making the story kinda a story sack. I want to make it myself, the problem is that I was offered the interview yesterday afternoon and the interview date is this Wednesday!!!! I would have liked longer to prepare, but I really want to make a good impression.
Considering my short time scale has anyone got any ideas, I have quite an extensive library at home (I have my own nearly 5 year old!) do you think Hungry caterpillar has been over done?? Also I thought an animal book which I could use finder puppets and perhaps sing old McDonald, oh, help, please!!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

shellbell10 is on a distinguished road

sounds like you have the ideas so dont panic, the hungry catepillar is popular and in my school we used it as taste tester to, so the childen tasted the food that the catepillar ate(check for food allergies first though and special diet restictions) then you can record the childrens reactions to the different tastes and textures, just a thought, be confident and good luck.
Unread 07-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

lol xx hugs and many congratulations on the interview xx

From your library could you list the top 5 books you'd consider using?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Emmab is on a distinguished road

handa's surprise is also a nice story about animals and fruits, you could maybe have pictures of the animals and the fruits in the bag and see if the children can match them and sequence/order the pictures.

what about we're going on a bear hunt and you could use mucial instruments for the noises i.e going through the grass using shakers etc. I work with reception age and they loved this. we used tabourines, shakers, triangles, drums,sticks to bang together.

hope your interview goes well!
Emma

Last edited by Emmab : 07-14-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Unread 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmab View Post
handa's surprise is also a nice story about animals and fruits, you could maybe have pictures of the animals and the fruits in the bag and see if the children can match them and sequence/order the pictures.

what about we're going on a bear hunt and you could use mucial instruments for the noises i.e going through the grass using shakers etc. I work with reception age and they loved this. we used tabourines, shakers, triangles, drums,sticks to bang together.

hope your interview goes well!
Emma
Thanks Emmab, I like the idea of we're going on a bear hut, so with the musical instruments do you give a different one to each child and they have to know when to use it, or do you show them which one to use? Sorry to sound thick, but I'd really like this job (I'm already volunteering in the setting so I already know the staff etc) I have 10 children and 15 mins to kill do you think I could extend the story? perhaps with a picture or something?
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:55 PM

going on a bear hunt

Hi

sorry for delay!

what I did was go through the book first as an introduction and then asked the children when we go to the pages like grass, water, woods etc and asked them from the range of instruments what they thought would make that sound.

I had 2 or 3 children (cos I had 30 children) with the same type of instrument so got a couple of shakers, couple of triangles, couple of sticks etc and we had a practise first so I said who will make the noise for the grass can you show me how it would sound. I made sure that they knew to do the music slowly and then explained that when they run back to the house that they would need to do it quickly. sorry hope I'm making sense.

you will instruments for the tall grass, river, yucky mud, dark forest, a snowstorm and a dark cave. you could get a couple to pair up or have an instrument of each one for each child then they all can do it?

once you explain and then go through the story I think that will the 15 minutes but if you get the children to choose the instrument say ask one child " what do you think would make the noise for the grass, what do you hear when you walk through tall grass" then that may use up any spare minutes. you don't want to make it too complicated as it will stress you out.

if you need anything else let me know.
hope all goes well!
Emma x
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:02 PM

Thanks Emma, that's great, I've omly got 10 to deal with so that feels do-able. Now I just have to reherse for Wednesday and hope the little loves are in a good, calm mood :-)
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:42 PM

hi Bex

Be sure to let us know how you get on Weds?

Good luck
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:23 PM

naj is on a distinguished road

Hi Emmab
I am one of the silky step's member.I been through your post ,i really lke your idea & advices to others.I need you aswell.I got call for interview as creche assistant really panic,i need help what sort of question gona be ?how many people gona be!!!!!!!!etc .making me worry.is my 1st tym interview.plz help me
Unread 08-02-2012, 05:44 PM

General question

Hi Naj

I helped Bex cos she had to do an interview using 10 children and to provide them with a story. Have they asked you to do anything for the interview or are you worried what they will ask you (question wise)?

Thanks
Em:jump: