Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 03-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

sj100 is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Cultural Dietary table

I have seen a very excellent table which lists what foods children from different cultures can and can't eat. It is written in a fabulously easy to understand way... BUT I can't find it for love nor money . Does anyone know of it, or know of an idiots guide. HELP!!! Thanking you... XXXX

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

shellyjoe is on a distinguished road

I will forward mine on to you this afternoon as My work is saved on another computer. I did a lot of research on this.
Unread 03-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

shellyjoe is on a distinguished road

If you have the Penny Tassoni Level 3 diploma workbook the info is on pg 70 but here is what I did.

Religious or cultural group Dietary requirements
Islam Islamic dietary requirements specify that only Halal (lawful) Lamb, Beef and Chicken, fish and shellfish can be consumed. Pork is a forbidden food to the Islamic people, Haram (unlawful). Cheese which has been certified Halal or cheese that does not contain rennet such as vegetarian cheese (rennet is extracted from the mucosa of a calf’s stomach, added to some cheeses). Eggs, tea, coffee and cocoa are permitted in the Islamic diet.
Ramadan is a time of spiritual reflection and worship and is the Islamic month of fasting for in the 9th month of the Islamic calendar and lasts 29/30 days. Muslims adults refrain from eating and drinking in the daylight hours.

Judaism Jewish dietary requirements specify that only kosher Lamb, Beef and chicken can be consumed. Kosher is not a style of cooking, it is the way in which the food is prepared or the way the animal is killed, (in accordance with the Jewish law)
Fish is to be eaten with the fins and scales. Cheese, milk and yoghurts are never eaten in the same meal even drinks containing milk are forbidden when eating meat dishes. Eggs are permitted providing they do not have any blood spots. Shellfish is forbidden to the Jewish people. Tea, coffee and cocoa are permitted.
The saucepans, crockery and cutlery that have been used to cook non kosher food are then believed to be non-kosher utensils and are not to be used for kosher foods.
Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the Jewish people and is celebrated on the 9th day of the Hebrew month of Tishrei. The Jewish adults fast for 25 hours.

Sikhism
Due to the fact that there are vast grey areas on what Sikhs eat and refrain from eating, in our setting we require written confirmation from parents on what their child is/is not allowed to eat The general consensus is that Sikhs are free to choose whether to adopt a vegetarian or meat diet. Therefore Sikhism dietary requirements vary from one Sikh person to another however it does specify that Halal and Kosher meat is forbidden (Halal and Kosher is meat that is ritually slaughtered).
Some Sikhs will eat any meat, some will not eat beef. Some Sikhs will eat fish including shell fish where others will not. Again this principle is the same when it comes to eating eggs; it all depends on whether they have adopted a vegetarian or meat diet.
Sikhs who have been initiated into the order of Khalsa by the Amrit ceremony are forbidden to eat any meat or meat products. (Khalsa by the Amrit is a baptism ceremony for sikhs).
Sikhs are permitted to drink milk, tea coffee and cocoa. There is no fasting period for Sikhs.

Rastafarianism
Due to the fact that there are vast grey areas on what Rastafarians eat and refrain from eating, in our setting we require written confirmation from parents on what their child is/is not allowed to eat Ital (derived from the English word vital) is the name of the Rastafarian diet. The Ital diet widely varies from Rasta to Rasta and there are few worldwide rules to Ital diet.
They do not eat pork as they consider the pig a scavenger; some also refrain from eating shellfish for the same reason.
Some Rasta’s follow a strict vegan diet, some Rasta’s are strict vegetarians and some will consume beef, chicken, lamb, fish, eggs and cheese. However all Rastafarians believe that food should be natural, pure and from this earth, therefore they will avoid food that contains additives or food that is chemically modified. Depending on how a Rastafarian follows the Ital diet (strict or relaxed) they are allowed to drink tea, coffee and cocoa, however many avoid caffeinated beverages. There is no fasting period for the Rastafarians.

I only covered these 4 but you could also include Hinduism and seventh day adventist church (I think they may be mormans, excuse my ignorance if i am wrong)

Good luck x