Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > OFSTED

OFSTED Discuss everything related to Ofsted in here ..

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Kathie is on a distinguished road
Default SEF form

Just thought i would share this with you and see if anyone has been told the same. According to a recent conversation with a lady from OFSTED we don't have to do the SEF form at all, it isn't mandatory. If this is the case why is there such a big hoo har about it with them for it to be done and why do we all get our knickers in a knot about it. We are due to be inspected soon and i am curious to see what the response is when no form will be produced. What do you all think:rotfl:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

catherineh is on a distinguished road

We were inspected back in September and what should have been a two day inspection only needed to be a one day. The inspector was able to recall alot of information from our SEF.
My supervisor was very pleased that she had been able to keep it up to date.
Unread 03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

The sef isn't mandatory, but it does help both the setting and Ofsted.
Every now and again I 'updated' mine online but never actually got around to submitting it (I just saved it on the site) when Ofsted arrived.

I had (and keep a current) a print out of my sef, so when Ofsted arrived, I handed the sef to the inspector who read it cover to cover. I was actually glad I had done so; as well as the inspector being on the premises and seeing how we operate/work together/ethos/culture of setting/treat children/parents etc, it explained how we went about lots of other things -too numerous to mention to her.

Some of her questions were related to the sef and she asked different questions to different members of staff, so she can see that everyone was involved/knew what policies and procedures we followed etc.

Like Catherineh, ofsted stayed only the one day rather than two days. The inspector had read our sef in her lunch break and said it was very informative and she could see it was a true reflection of our setting from how we all worked together.

I admit it is a lot to write (especially when I first started it) onto the site, but I felt it was worth it as it was a great help to me and Ofsted.

If an inspector turns up and a setting hasn't even attempted to do the sef - they may wonder why - they couldn't be bothered? they don't understand what they are doing? they are disorganised and admin is sloppy? I don't know what may be running through an inspector's mind, but know I wouldn't want to chance anything that may appear the setting doesn't take things seriously.

Having said that, I have heard that the sef will no longer be around at the end of the year - things are changing, along with the review of the EYFS - that's going to be 'fine tuned'.
Our sector is ever evolving - probably because they do take note and listen to us to see what's working and what isn't.
Unread 03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

we submitted our SEF form on line. When our inspector turned up she had a casual chat with some of the staff...... and ended up only staying with us for the morning.... made our visit a whole lot easier and very very stress free for all of us
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

they have never been mandatory but if you use it on an ongoing basis it displays a huge amount to the inspector. it shows you are your team are constantly reflecting and it saves about a day sometimes more in terms of inspection. it also makes the team far more proactive in the assessment and justification of their practice.