Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 12-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

SLB is on a distinguished road
General question Mappings

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am currently doing a bit of work called mappings. I am not going to college to study my NVQ Level 3 i am doing in along side being a placement 2 days per week and my assessor comes in to see me every 3-4 weeks at the nursery. She has given me a long sheet of different pages of things she can come in a see me do next time she sees me. On a couple of the pages are some questions she wants me to answer highlighted in blue and some other couple of questions to do a project and write up about highlighted in yellow. I am a bit stuck on some of the questions. If someone could give me some ideas or help me answer them going through them each one by one that would be great.
Some of the questions I cant answer are:
Your setting's processes and procedures for observing, assessing and recording when and how these link to external requirements or baselines or curriclum frameworks followed in your home country.

The influences on how children develop and what these might mean in the context of the children you are working with.

Adapt your practice and support all the children in your care, including thoses with disabilities and special educational needs.

Adapt the environment and activities so that all children can take part equally and, where necessary, provide activities.

Encourage indipendence and self-care, but provide close, consistent and reliable relationships, enabling the growth of self-esteem and resilence

Provide an environment that is child friendly and encourages play, exploration and problem solving.

Use culturally and developmentally appropriate activities, materials and first-hand experiences to support learning and development.

Support literacy, e.g. mark making, writting, recognition of environmental print, use of books and stories, according to the child's age, needs and abilites.

These are all the questions i am having trouble with and i know it seems rather a lot but i just cant get my head around them so if someone could help me with the questions that would be brilliant as a couple of months into the new year this part of my work needs to be handed in.
Thank you x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Start by asking yourself 'what would I do to adapt/change something so a child can achieve/attempt or join in something?'
Why would you want/need to adapt/change?
Would you do/provide the same activity with/for a two year old that you would a 4 year old?
Why not? - age and stage, interest of child etc
or as you have asked in your question adapting for a sen child - why may you have to adapt for a sen child?

- it could be that their development is behind, their may have an emotional or physical disability - what physical activity would you provide for a child unable to climb up a slide? How would you support and encourage them to attempt a physical activity you have provided?

If a child has a long term illness or has been ill how may this affect their development and how would you adapt activities for them? Remember it is not only physical development that may be affected but their emotional development - if they are often away ill - how may this affect them forming friendships with other children? or even bonding/attachment to practitioners?

You need to go through each question - pull the question apart and ask yourself 'How can I help a child that.....' and write everything that you think of down on paper. After that you will be able to assemble your writing into coherent answers.

Read your book/s - look up in the index for the sections you need to learn of i.e. independence - you may find something on helping children dress, see to their own personal hygiene, learning to become resilient etc and how you as a practitioner can help encourage a child in this. You need to read, not just to understand how to write up your nvq, but more importantly understand children and become a good practitoner.

The above is just a little part towards your work, which I hope helps you.
Unread 12-23-2010, 03:20 PM

Hi,
What you have written has helped so thank you. The problem I seem to have is i cant put brain to paper if that makes any sense. I can talk about something but I usually have trouble getting started once im started im away lol. x
Unread 12-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem lol re : brain to paper so what I did was actulally recorded myself answering the points verbally as if I were explaining them. Then i listened back and jotted down notes. Then that made it easier to write the points out properly.
Unread 12-28-2010, 05:12 PM

Yeah thats not a bad idea i might give that a go thanks.