Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 11-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

vicky.flanagan is on a distinguished road
Default k2s34 Input needed on if I am going int he right direction with this?

Wayns to encourage children to be aware of their own bodies and understand their right not to be abused according to the age/ability and needs of the child? Use of appropriate descriptivelanguage
Activities including disscussion about there own bodies.

As I work with year 1 children 5 to 6 yrs olds, I dont want to go to indepth in this. So I was thinking about saying all children have different bodies some are different shapes, taller smaller etc and talking about what parts are body are for etc but not going on about the genital bits etc.. And then saying that parts of are bodies are for us only and not to be touched by any one else unless its a dr who needs to see if something is wrong and that if children are not comfortable in people touching parts of their body then they need to speak with someone regarding this. And also talking about the safe code abit etc.
For a activity I was thinking I could write about getting the children to bring scan pictures if parents have them and then baby pictures and how they are now so they can see the whole process of growing and how there body grows etc. If parents dont have scan pictures I could use pictures of the internet and just get children to bring in their baby pictures and how they are now etc.
Another one would be to get the children to draw them selfs listing the parts of there bodies etc.
Or if we only had a small group of children we could draw round that child on big pieces of paper and then label the parts.

Am I doing this along the right lines or am I totally of it lol

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Doodah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky.flanagan View Post
Ways to encourage children to be aware of their own bodies and understand their right not to be abused according to the age/ability and needs of the child? Use of appropriate descriptive language. Activities including disscussion about their own bodies.

Am I doing this along the right lines or am I totally of it?
Your answer is similar to mine, but I have gone into more detail:

Use of appropriate descriptive language
At xxxxxxxx school, children are encouraged to look after themselves and each other. “Play fighting” and bullying are not tolerated in the school. Each class makes its own class charter in September which includes their own ideas about how they wish to be treated. The children are encouraged to look after themselves by looking after their own health. Examples of this are understanding why they should wear a coat outside on a cold day, why they should wash their hands before eating, and why they should eat fruit as part of a healthier diet. Children are praised, rewarded and encouraged for positive behaviour or good achievements, which gives them confidence and helps them to develop a good self image. Children who struggle to struggle to get changed after P.E. are encouraged to try and dress themselves first, and then are given minimal help by an adult, thus promoting independence in the child. Every year, the school has a “road safety week”, a “healthy eating week” and an “anti-bullying week”. Children are frequently reminded of the importance of “stranger danger”. Staff use informative and uncondescending language to explain to the children the need to look after themselves and their health. Staff make themselves approachable to all children so that they feel they could confide in them should the need arise. The children are encouraged to look after themselves and keep themselves safe using the appropriate language in accordance to their age. Throughout the school the children have used their own ideas and language to provide ways of doing this in their class charter. The staff actively encourage and praise children for this which helps to build their confidence and independence.

Activities involving discussion about their own bodies
The xxxxxxxx School policy on *** education states that “no specific *** education will be offered in school. ( ) Where children ask specific questions of a sexual nature directly to a teacher, such questions will be referred back to the parents”. Children are encouraged to discuss matters relating to their own health, and how they wish to be treated by their peers. Children are taught about gender, whilst avoiding stereotyping of the type of tasks that can be carried out by each. In Key Stage 1, one of the topics that is taught is “life cycles and growing”. They learn that they used to be babies, and that they have grown, developed and learned many skills. They are also shown that the tallest child in the class may not necessarily be the oldest child in the class, and that we are all different. The children celebrate the fact that they are all unique, and that whilst they may have some similar features to some of their friends, eg, brown hair, in other ways they are different, eg, skin colour. Every child in the school is made to feel important and special. EAL and Reception children are taught the names of body parts by singing songs and playing games eg “heads, shoulders, knees and toes” or "Simon Says”.
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM

Thank you for that so I am doing it along the right lines, I was struggling with this one for a while untill I sat down and actually gave it a lot of thought etc. The teacher who I work with at school said I had just missed this at school In my school in yr 1 they dont get taught *** ed but I think she said in year 2 they get taught basic *** ed. I think I will just ask her to claify this tomorrow so I can out this in to the q aswell. Do U think what I have listed for the activity parts would be ok. As the way I see it the children are still extremely young and don't need to much information about it at this stage.
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Do U think what I have listed for the activity parts would be ok.
Yes the activities are fine, we drew around a child's body and decorated/painted it. We labelled the basic body parts and took photos of the children during the activity - then made a DISPLAY!!

Baby photos and now photos - always a good one especially if you do a guess who the baby is? and staff bring in their baby photos too! Not sure may parents would abe willing to part with their scan photos though!

Singing action songs and games eg "Simon Says" and "Heads, Shoulder, Knees and Toes" - children LOVE this!

Also 5 senses activities - smelling, touching, tasting, seeing, hearing - great practical activites.

You could do a circle time or PSHE lesson on why they should not bully, tease or fight each other (as this counts as a type of physical and emotional abuse) and ask them to draw up a set of class rules as to how they want to be treated eg Be friendly, Look after each other, No fighting, No shouting etc.....

Agreed about the *** ed bit - our children get a basic talk in Year 4 and that is it! :blush: xxx
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:24 PM

Hi, Thanks for that. Thats what I was thinking about with the scan photos, Thats why I said we could prob get some pics of the internet of when they r growing in the mothers tummy just thought it would be nice for them to actually see all the stages of growth rather than just from a baby now now.
Thank you for your help though.
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your help though.
You are very welcome, anytime. Hope you activity goes well xx
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Thank you im sure it will. The class is a lovely bunch of children.