Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 10-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

gal4God is on a distinguished road
Default 205 supporting a child to settle in

how do i support a child to settle in? what may i have done in my work could have helped a new child to settle in?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-02-2010, 04:20 PM

jill is on a distinguished road

hi what age group is your question aimed at?
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:59 PM
chelsey-lou

Hi gal4god

I've had to do this many of times within my job helping a child to settle in. regardless of their age it is a good idea for the child to do a few hours a week or 2 before starting for a few days so they get used to setting and surroundings as you may find that this is the first time the child has been to a nursery/pre school setting etc.

It is advised that the person within the room who would be key worker to greet the child and parent/s and to find out more about the child e.g. what do they enjoy doing etc, so this gives you a clear picture of what they are like etc and you also know what to do if they become upset and also if needed to ask parent to fill out profile of child.

you should involve the child in small group activities so they get to know others.

If it is the childs first time being away from parent then maybe you could ask the parent to stay for a while outside of the room out of sight, this then gives parent peace of mind- as no parent likes to leave their child when they are upset, if after a certain time the child is still upset then maybe u could ask the parent to come back in til child is more settled- altho in my setting i used to work in it was advised that the parent was to stay for the first visit or until the child seemed settled and then go and if any problems we would phone them.

sorry if ive gone abit, hope this has given u a idea of what to do etc
Unread 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM

gal4God is on a distinguished road

we allow the parent to stay with their children on their first session and their first lunchtime session as our lunchtime sessions are in the school dinner hall when children mainly 8 - 11 are eating their lunch. i work in a pre shool joined on to the school with children aged 3 - 5
i kno that one child came and then left to come back later when she was ready to come.
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:34 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

settling in should be very much at the child's pace. they should dictate how long the parent stays and this should be incorporated into a settling in policy. the things that can help are home visits, parental involvement and good practitioners with a key person who works with the child from day one. any setting who dictates when a child should be settled by as in the one above who ALLOWS!! a parent to stay is in direct contravention of the eyfs which says that a childs needs should be met not the settings or the parents. when one teaches one does tend to assume that practices like this have been replaced by good practice but sadly it seems there are still setting s who operate top meet the needs of the child third over themselves and the parents.
theoretically you need to be looking at attachment theory and how this impacts on our practice.