Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 08-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

RoseJ is on a distinguished road
General question Help 201 please someone cant get my head round this one

the question is
Name different forms of verbal communication and explain the importance of each.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseJ View Post
the question is
Name different forms of verbal communication and explain the importance of each.
I can't see the context of the question/unit but I'm guessing it's something to do with intonation and gestures etc

So, if you needed to reassure a child you would use a soothing voice.

If you were singing your voice would alter as you sang the chorus and 'belted' it out.

If you weren't very pleased with something/one this would show in your voice as would surprise, fear - screaming, upset - crying etc

If you needed to get someone's attention quickly you may shout.

If you are speaking to someone and are in the library or book corner you may whisper.

and so on.............

I hope this is what you are looking for.
Unread 08-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Thank you so so much that really helps
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseJ View Post
the question is
Hi RoseJ,

I found this old posting of mine when someone asked about different types of verbal and non verbal communication and have 'cut and pasted' in case there is something that may help you.

Different types of verbal communication:

You will speak differently to a four year old than say a two year old. With a two year old, the structure of your sentences may be shorter and simpler - because of their understanding.

Non Verbal communication:

You will use body language and gestures without realising as you ask a child to fetch something from the other side of the room, you will speak and point, when they bring it over to you, you will thank them and smile, children can read body language and understand the intonation of voice before they can understand words. Even as adults we take great store by gestures and body language; you know exactly what someone means when they say " She was flinging her arms all over the place and she had a face like thunder".

For all children you may have pictures around the setting i.e. over their coat pegs, or in the toilets picture signs with writing saying 'Wash your Hands' or 'Dry your hands'

For children needing support to communicate you may use pictures to help them understand what is about to happen i.e. you are all going to tidy up and get ready to go home.

You may you Britsh Sign Language or makaton sign language. You may have to use very simple and telegraphic language to a child with limited understanding.

You may use other props such as a balloon for a child to feel the vibration of words, but this will probably be with input from other professionals - they may have impaired hearing or vision.

You may use intonation for the child to know when you are praising them or when they or another child is in imminent danger.

You may have to get down to their level and make sure they can see your face for body language or lip reading.

When communicating with children, don't hurry them, let them take their time and listen until they have finished telling you what they want to,

What resources promote lanuage including ICT?

Well everything if an adult is with them, helping/scaffolding or other children who they can watch and listen to as role models and it may encourage them to speak to others.

Lots of reading - one to one, small or large groups, sharing and talking about the story, talking and discussing subjects that interest them.

Actitvities - lots of encouragement and praise and chatting whilst they are i.e. painting, building a tower, playing games, singing etc

ICT - dvd book stories or other children/adults doing another computer activity or planning a route around the room using a beebot or radio controlled toy.

The best resource is the practioner and the props could be whatever interests a child.

Also sharing information with parents and other professionals if the child has different or additional needs for valuable input.
Unread 08-25-2010, 09:39 PM

Wow thats great thanks