Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 06-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

JUICY ASHLEIGH is on a distinguished road
Help SOS last question on my assignment help needed plz

this is the last question on my final assignment i just cant write it down on paper with out it not sounding write the question is

there are a number of reasons why its important to be a reflective practioner these include ...........

i also have to support one of the reasons with a referance but dont no were to start IZZY:
any help would be grate full xx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICY ASHLEIGH View Post
this is the last question on my final assignment i just cant write it down on paper with out it not sounding write the question is

there are a number of reasons why its important to be a reflective practioner these include ...........

i also have to support one of the reasons with a referance but dont no were to start IZZY:
I answered this only a couple of days for someone else, so if you have a look at my posts, by clicking on my name, I may have explained it better the other day.
I know you will hear 'reflection' all the time and you might think sometimes - how can i do something better, when it's okay as it is?
It's not so much changing on a large scale, but always being aware that what you deliver is 'best practice'.

As you carry out your daily risk assessment in your setting, you will go through your procedures, i.e. you are setting up equipment for snack time.

You get the children's mugs out, place them on a tray, fill another tray up with mugs and place them on top - everyone has always done that at your setting, but one day you start to think that the mugs on the bottom have a tray on top and the children choosing those mugs may have bacteria/germs transferred to their lips when they drink from them.
To remedy this you place the mugs downwards on a clean tray or you cover the mugs up with a clean cloth/towel, and remember to wash both sides of the trays thoroughly. You never again place the bottom of the tray onto mugs.

You reflected upon your practice and changed something your setting did. You can then write it into your health and hygiene policies and procedures.

In learning, there again, it doesn't have to be huge for you to be showing you are always reflecting - even if you still come to the same outcome, one day you may think of a better way to suit an individual child's needs. You can write about inclusion in your course work, but if you have a sen child, you will soon learn and adapt for their needs, as and when they arise.

You may observe that they enjoy watching children do puzzles, but they just can't get the hang of them, they are too fiddly and they struggle with their coordination . They have rejected your provision of peg puzzles 'because they want to do a hard puzzle' they say. 'They proudly tell you, they are four years old'.
You could do a bit of research on the net or look through catalogues (sense have some good products) and buy 3d puzzles - chunky wooden flowers that can be built up in layers - pot, stem, leaves and petals and this puzzle suits their needs better. The child is happy, willing to use this puzzle, there's no knobs - in his eyes 'for younger ones'. All though children of all ages will use peg puzzles, a sen child may feel he has no option and therefore doesn't want to do them.

You've been reflective, seen what's on the market currently and thought of the child's needs and interest and provided him with an activity for his development age.
The other day i gave two different examples about cooking and sowing seed activities if you want to check those out.
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICY ASHLEIGH View Post

Found this old post and pasted it for you, this may give you yet another example.

Yes, reflection is required in everything we do.
I know some think if they have a fantastic activity, use the old adage of 'if it's not broken, don't fix it'.
I agree, but I like to think of it differently; you haven't got to change anything too drastically, but allow change to evolve to keep it fresh for everyone.
If we never reflected, we (practioners and children) would get sick of making i.e. the same cakes, or sowing the same seed year in , year out - different recipes and methods and different seeds/bulbs to grow give different learning opportunities.
This applies to everything we do in our everyday practice.