Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Parent Partnerships

Parent Partnerships Early Years interviews, appraisals, building partnerships with parents, carers and your local extended community. Share ideas to help support staff in working together and in identifying stakeholders. Please use this forum to discuss solutions, problem solving and linking experiences ...

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 11-22-2006, 04:58 PM
cybertwin

Crossfingers Deputies

I have always had 2 deputies "under" me at work, and this morning one of them has decided to step down as deputy as she is finding the work hard and not really doing any of it anyway. other deputy is taking up the slack and it is being noticed by comittee and other staff and causing agro. she is still a fab play assistant and great with the kids!.

my questions is - how many deputies does everyone have?
i think we can manage on one, but me and staying deputy are at uni together on a thursday. but all other staff are trained to level 3, so i think that i can have a rolling "person in charge" designated on a thursday. am i right?

sorry lots of questions, hope someone can helps

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-22-2006, 05:45 PM
noah

you need only have one and yes you can designate someone to cover if you are both away providing they are level 3 and have correct staffing for session.
Unread 11-22-2006, 05:54 PM
cybertwin

Thank you, thought that was the case , just wanted to check

puts my mind at rest
Unread 11-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Twinks

We are a small village Playgroup and only have 3 childcare staff - Playleader, Senior Childcare Assistant (who is Deputy) and Childcare Assistant. All are level 3 qualified so any can run the session, although the Senior Assistant has a slightly higher pay rate to cover for deputising when necessary.
Unread 11-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

brown owl is on a distinguished road

I am a deputy (L3 NVQ) and studied for L4 now!!!

Our Assistant Practitioner has started her Level 3 qualification. A couple of times my manager has been away from the setting over lunch time, I though that I could leave my AP in charge whilst I dashed out to get some lunch ( I remember in a previous position when I was studiying level 3 that I was in charge in an emergency). My manager (who has just completed her E115 (thru Open Uni) and is a L4 tells us that as AP is not qualfied that she cannot be left in charge. Which means that I have to stay in the setting until my manager returns.

What do others think about this?
Unread 11-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

Hi
My current setting works on the principle that as long as the manager feels the level 3 qualified assistant knows as much as her then she can be left in charge...this has only happened a few times-covering sick leave/emergencies and the member of the staff has been paid accordingly for the added responsability...oh and btw the setting only has one deputy
Unread 11-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

brown owl is on a distinguished road

Hi Air

I am the only deputy in our setting. I think if our AP was qualified to L3 then there would be no problem in leaving her in charge in an emergency. It is just that she has just started it (sept) and isn't qualified yet, although she is aware of all routines etc.

I wonder what the OFSTED view on this is. Maybe I will check up

byee
Brown owl