Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD

Training, Qualifications & CPD These forums contain details on different courses, ideas and links to help with opportunities in many aspects of continuing own and groups's personal development. If you have any questions or can help with information relating to training & further education .. firstly thankyou and please feel free to use these forums .. NB: All Silkysteps forums are public - Please post responsibly and professionally & always get in touch if needed ..

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 02-23-2007, 04:04 AM
strawberrykisses

Wide Eyed Had my anaphylaxis trainging

Had my anaphylaxis trainging

ooooh gosh lol (the 3yr old i have is serverely alergic to nuts, seeds and all dairy)

i m ok about the whole thing in general as i know the risk is minimal as long as im careful i dont give her anything shes allergic too (eg anything containing dairy, most bread, bread sticks, cake - its in everything!!!!!!!)

I learned for a mild reaction to do 2.5ml piriton, if no improvement in 10mins then another 2.5ml pirtion, then call 999 and if gets worse then adrenaline.

severe reaction (what she has had before) then its put the needle on the syringe, break the seal on the adrenaline vile, draw up 0.1ml adrenaline from the vile and push it right in to her thigh, then rub it. call 999, then repeat if no change.

also learned how to use the peadiatric ventilation kit for if shes wheezing when shes having a reaction.

it was quite scary, i think ill be calling if ANYTHING looks a wee bit out of place. im just woried about play groupsand other mums giving her stuff, i need to keep her right in my eye all the time, which is hard with a 11mo as well. :reading:

im getting more training from the community nurse too. x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-23-2007, 10:43 AM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road

Eilidh, I know it's easy to say, but don't panic, and don't overthink it - you'll only end up stressed and that's when mistakes are made. During my years as a dental nurse, I was given yearly updated advanced first aid training, and used to churn myself up for a few weeks after each course, looking for warning signs in every patient. Just keep a cool head and if you ever need to use your training, keep calm - in fact you'll probably 'go' to that professional place in your head like I did the twice I used my knowledge - you just go to automatic pilot, do your duty, and when it's all over that's when the jitters set in. Remember, the parents wouldn't have employed you if they didn't think you were capable. Good luck honey.
Unread 02-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

I second everything Tracey said .. I also write a bullet point 'action list' which is more for reassurance in my 'omg I'll never remeber what to do ' moments lol rather than should anything actually needed to be carried out!

With Toddlers & Preschool .. as long as everyone knows there shouldn't be a problem have they told you ther policy & procedure when it comes to storing & administering medication .. who's on their emergency contact list for her and what risk assessments they have in place for pin pointing possible dangers?

Oo do you get to experiment with vegan/allegen free recipes as well ? :idea:
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 02-23-2007, 02:48 PM
cybertwin

i am going to third everyones advice and also say - we had a girl at preschool with nut allergy and milk etc came along with epipen and all. and we never had a problem. as ruth says all our staff knew what to do, had had the training, which was free from the community team, and we had a !quick guide" pinned to the door with symptoms and bullet points of what to do.

taking care at all times really helps, and if unsure about a food stuff check with the parents
Unread 02-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

Make sure you check and recheck food too. My friends son has an allergy and she has said that the ingrediants in products often change.

Its something I often think about. My son is vegetarian and I know he has been offered meat at preschool by mistake. As a parent it must be worrying to have a child with such a serious allergy when they are out without you. As the others have said the parents must have good faith in your abilities.

Good luck,
Chell