Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Preschool themes and topics > Planning activities themes and topics for preschool early years > Season - Winter

Season - Winter A time for turning up the heating or throwing a bigger log on the fire...... Chilly winter mornings and frost covered lawns - What do you all do in the winter time?

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 03-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Muggy

Default Preserve a snowflake!!!

Well APPARENTLY this is how to preserve a real snowflake...

Take one piece of glass (yes, I know, not exactly a child friendly activity, but they will hopefully appreciate the results!) - it was suggested you use a slide from a microscope, but I didn't exactly have one of those handy, so I took the glass out of a postcard sized picture frame!
Place the piece of glass in the freezer for at least 24 hours (making sure you tell everyone it's in there before they go in grabbing for the frozen peas!)
Place a tube of superglue in the freezer too (making sure the lid is securely fastened of course!)
When it snows, remove the items from the freezer, and attempt to catch a few snowflakes on the glass! (:rotfl:)
As soon as you have a few good snowflakes on the glass, place a blob of superglue over each one.
Place the glass back in the freezer asap, keeping it as level as possible so that the glue doesn't run.
Leave the glass in there for 4 weeks yes, 4 weeks!
Take glass out of freezer, and there you should have some beautiful little snowflakes preserved forever! If the glass was from a frame, place it back in the frame with black paper behind it! The patterns of the snowflakes are amazing, and the superglue kind of magnifies them!

(At some point remember to place the lid back on the superglue and remove it from the vicinity of small children! )

Well, of course, I had to have a go, only.... 1) when it snowed, I immediately went to get the glass from a picture frame without freezing it first, 2) left the glass on a wall outside to collect snowflakes on its own (well, it was too cold to be standing out there!) 3) went back out half an hour later only to find that I had a piece of wet glass on the wall!
Well, I should have known! But it was worth a try. Maybe if it's done properly it will work. It really did look good when they did it on the telly!
If anyone succeeds in this, please let me know!!
I now have a piece of glass and some superglue in the freezer on standby! It probably won't snow any more til next winter! :rotfl:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-17-2006, 12:37 AM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Biggrin

Muggy, I think this says it all - :rotfl: LOL!
Unread 03-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Muggy

Biggrin

It did work on the telly, honest! (Cheeky!!!)