Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Preschool themes and topics > Popular early years themes and children's topics of interest > Homes

Homes Location, type of home and learning an address - what tips have you got to help the planning of this theme?

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 03-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Muggy

Lightbulb DIY House that Jack built!

We used this idea (with 3-5 yr olds) during our week about 'homes', and only because one of us had just obtained a massive cardboard box and we wanted to do something with it. We came up with an activity that lasted a whole week!
I cut the 2 flaps of the box lid off and constructed a simple partition for the house - just made a slit halfway along the two rectangle pieces of card, and slot them together to form a cross shape. Then placed them in the box creating four spaces (rooms), securing them quite well in the box with strong parcel tape.
On the Monday, children got to it with paint, decorating interior and exterior walls, and made a roof with card folded in half and selotaped on top. On Tuesday, we gave them pieces of carpet to glue to the floor and samples of wallpaper (easy to obtain from DIY store) to stick to the interior walls. On Wednesday they stuck mini acrylic tiles on the "kitchen" floor, kindly provided by a parent who is a builder! On Thursday and Friday, they experimented with different dolls house furniture, and added extra pictures on the walls etc, and by the end of the week, they had their own home-made house, that looked like the house that Jack built, but they loved it. And they were playing with it for weeks after!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-05-2006, 09:18 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Biggrin

It sounds just like my house!:rotfl: Sounds like a great idea for using up odds and ends around the home, I'm sure my little one will enjoy it too.
Unread 07-24-2008, 04:31 PM
michyb

I might try this, thanx
Michyb