Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 08-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Lymeleader

Help SOS Medium term plan for eyfs in september

Hi, Everyone I'm new to this site,but I have enjoyed reading all your discussions on the Eyfs. I have been trying to write a medium term plan for this september 08 for Pre-School but i am really not so sure how to do it .
I have rung sure start ,but the person I am suppose to talk to is away.
When I went on the course for observation/planning, they run out of time,and did not have time to discuss medium term planning:weepy:.
Why do we have to write a meduim term plan if we are going on the childrens interests?
Please can anyone help,as I am going mad!!!
thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I have a long term plan... celebrations, special events, multicultural festivals, things we have to schedule like term times / holidays, Beep beep day etc.

I have a short term plan ... things I want to cover, themes following on from children's interests, things parents tell me children have been doing at home etc.

I am too busy playing for a medium term plan
Unread 08-12-2008, 07:03 AM

Brandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnev707 View Post
I have a long term plan... celebrations, special events, multicultural festivals, things we have to schedule like term times / holidays, Beep beep day etc.

I have a short term plan ... things I want to cover, themes following on from children's interests, things parents tell me children have been doing at home etc.

I am too busy playing for a medium term plan

I have a long term plan as above and I have divided the eyfs development matters from 16mths to 60 mths into 3 terms this is my medium term plan, i just highlight it when I have covered the dev matters i then know what i have covered that term. My weekly plan is based on activities that are geared to the childrens interests, sometimes we have a theme sometimes we dont and its all geared to what the children have been interested in the previous week, if a child is suddenly interested in a particular thing we change our activities to meet their interest during the week.
Unread 08-12-2008, 09:50 AM
noah

Don't need a medium plan any more.. we have done away with it.. no point when working with children as it is obsolete within a few days...
Unread 08-12-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Don't need a medium plan any more.. we have done away with it.. no point when working with children as it is obsolete within a few days...
everyone has their own way of planning our early years advisor was happy with ours, everyones different and each setting does it, to suit what they do.
We all get the same place in the end meeting our childrens needs.
Unread 08-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Lymeleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
I have a long term plan as above and I have divided the eyfs development matters from 16mths to 60 mths into 3 terms this is my medium term plan, i just highlight it when I have covered the dev matters i then know what i have covered that term. My weekly plan is based on activities that are geared to the childrens interests, sometimes we have a theme sometimes we dont and its all geared to what the children have been interested in the previous week, if a child is suddenly interested in a particular thing we change our activities to meet their interest during the week.
Thanks for that. its nice to now everybody does it different ways.
Unread 10-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Baffled_Student

Default Meduim Term planning

Hi,
I am a student and was wondering if one of you could send me a template of a meduim term plan as i need to devise 3 for my course and i haven't got a scooby on how to set one up..
Many Thanks
Amy
Unread 10-31-2008, 09:02 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

the whole point is NOT to have plans. yes a vague this is what we hope to cover is fine but i have told all my settings i dont want to see any on the walls i am not interested and neither is ofsted. the plans you need are for tomorrow. what excited and intrigued them today and how are you going to extend it tomorrow. a plan for the week in terms of activities but you need to show you are responsive to daily needs and development and that of course negates the need for longer term planning. throw the template away!
Unread 11-01-2008, 10:13 AM

what course are you doing, do you work in a setting, how do they do their plans ? if you do work in a setting or have a placement see if they can show you how they do the planning, we have a medium plan but its just the dev matters over 3 terms i highlight it to keep a check on what we have been doing and covering , we have a weekly plan of activities over the 6 areas of learning,inside and outside, this is taken from the childrens interests and is changed as and when, we also have learning journeys for individual children, each keyworker does these activities and plans them for each child parents and children provide information on what their interests are, this is done on a rota. hope that helps
Unread 11-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

m1sspr0ject is on a distinguished road

When ofstead came to see us this year they asked to see our planning sheets. i hadn't put them up yet for the week as she turned up on the monday. She replyed well they should always be on the wall for parents and or staff to look at. we devote our planning to things we know the children enjoy. at the bottom we have an area to write a note on which bits they enjoyed anymore ideas from the kids of thins they would like to do.