Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > OFSTED

OFSTED Discuss everything related to Ofsted in here ..

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 11-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

niggles78 is on a distinguished road
Smile Sharing SEF

Hello
I'm a new manager of a nursery and I've been given the dreaded SEF form to do. The proprieter very kindly handed the previous managers SEF form saying that there wasn't enough information and could I please do it ASAP. ( as if managing the nursery isn't enough already)

Needless to say I'm struggling a little. I've done most of it but I was wondering if someone would kindly share theirs with me so I had an idea of what I'm supposed to be doing.

I've used the OFSTED guidance and I think mines okay it would just be nice to have some one elses to compare it to iykwim.

Everyone has always been so helpful at silkysteps - ( much more than some paid ESF websites!!)

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, this is a tough one, I would think sef's are quite individual so not sure how helpful they would be for you .. hoping someone can give a hand where they can.

Do you have anyone within the nursery that you can go through a review of the form with?

Sorry this isn't very useful

Best wishes xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-24-2009, 10:57 PM

niggles78 is on a distinguished road

thanks for replying, I discussed this with my area manager and she's agreed to hand me down one of the other nursery SEF form, as you say they're individual to each nursery but it does give me a feel for what I'm aiming to achieve. It's a lot of paperwork tho and to think we have to do it EVERY year. . .
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

marky edwards is on a distinguished road
sef

Hi

I am struggling with my sef any one got any ideas or hints

thank you
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:17 AM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

dont over egg it. just answer each point with an honest and reflective response about your nursery and practice. you arent going to be marked on it it is just there to save time and encourage you to reflect. which is what your doing. i would advise not to look at others it confuses things, fill it in and submit it.
Unread 07-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles78 View Post
thanks for replying, I discussed this with my area manager and she's agreed to hand me down one of the other nursery SEF form, as you say they're individual to each nursery but it does give me a feel for what I'm aiming to achieve. It's a lot of paperwork tho and to think we have to do it EVERY year. . .
I agree. it does look daunting at first, but if you tackle it a bit at a time it is easier. You can save it on the Ofsted site without having to submit it, if you wish, until you think you have it just as you want it. Or you submit, then edit.

They are not compulsory, but they do give Ofsted a better 'picture' or what you do and how the setting it is run. Don't look on it as if it's homework, look at it that it will help your next inspection go smoothly. It certainly helped our inspection and the inspector said it was thanks to a very comprehensive sef.

I don't do my sef annually, I go on and add bits to it or change it as and when.
When you write something down that you do, it then asks you how you are going to reflect and any action you may take, i.e. if you wrote all that you provide for the mark making area - upon relection you may say from your observation boys do not visit this area as frequently as girls. To encourage them you will take mark making to the activities they seem to prefer such as clipboards at the building site, provide old diaries/notebooks for role play such as police or fire fighters etc and take mark making outside where they are playing.

You can write in a similar vein for whatever you are writing about. What you are doing now and upon reflection what could you or how could you improve or make it more accessible in the future.

Of course, your sef may not be able to keep getting 'better and better', but everyime you improve, add or change something, write it in a note book and say what the improvement/reason for it is, then add it to your sef when you have time. This will show that you are always reflecting and acting upon. It will then get easier and become part of your routine.

When I first started doing mine, I saved it and did not submit, printed it out and got a parent to proof read it and asked her if we did anything I'd forgotten to put in. She contributed one or two things and the other staff read it, wrote bits down and I typed it up. I always had a printed copy at the setting if Ofsted arrived before I submitted it formally - and they did. The inspector read it and was very satisfied. It shows the strengths of a setting that they can't always see, and you can't show everything on their visit, so it helps you. That and their observations forms their opinion and grade of the setting.

I hope this helps you to see sef as more of a help and not a hinderance.
Unread 10-23-2010, 05:53 PM

LadyP is on a distinguished road

I'm just doing my SEF now. What I wish is that they would write these things in OUR language so that every day Jo Bloggs would understand the questions! I know we're spose to learn their terminology but its hard going. The NVQ3 is just as bad. I've nearly finished it now but I've spent half my time on here looking up the 'laymans terms' of what the question actually means!

Can anyone simplify the wording on the SEF or point to a good site that does please?
Claire x