Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 10-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Fulham Supporter is on a distinguished road
Default Can anybody help on this

================================================== =
Find help and support with this unit here - CYP 3.5 Unit 5
================================================== =

I am working on CYP 3.5

1.2, Demonstrate how to listen and build relationships with children and young people.

Not sure how to start it off, or what to say really

Any ideas, would be a real help

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

bouncytig is on a distinguished road

It is not only the environment that creates a welcoming and friendly atmosphere, it is also the people who are there. First impressions are important for parents and carers as well as the children and young people. As a playworker I develop a range of techniques and strategies for interacting with children and young people.

Techniques that you could use when children and young people come to the setting for the first time include the following:

----- find out his or her preferred name; be sure you know how to pronounce it, and make an effort to use it
----- show him or her around the facility or ask another child to do so - remember to check that the child knows where the toilets are.

The communication skills I use
The way that you communicate with children and young people will be determined by your personal approach. The method you choose will be the most appropriate for the child or young person and suitable for the specific situation. It may take the form of talking and listening or may involve other people, e.g. interpreters.

Keys to good practice: Listening skills
Always listen attentively to what the child or young person is saying.
Look interested and encourage the child to interact with you. It will be of great importance to him or her.
Ask open questions (ones that cannot be answered with yes or no replies).
Find topics of interest to you both.
Use appropriate vocabulary to meet the child’s age and stage of development.
Use humour appropriately; do not use sarcasm or put-downs.
Non-verbal communication
Your non-verbal communication, i.e. your gestures, actions and facial expressions, are as important as what you say.
Children learn to interpret non-verbal communication at an early age. So I think about how my face portrays my feelings.

Whatever techniques are used I always try to ensure that they are at an appropriate level for the child or young person in my care.

hope any of this will help start you off
Unread 10-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Fulham Supporter is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you

Thanks for that, it will get me started.
I am new to all of this, and of the older generation, to boot !