Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 06-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Mockingbird is on a distinguished road
Default 201

Maybe you could help me with this question.. I finish NVQ in 2 weeks and just have the last few questions now.

This question sounds simple, but i just can't think how to word it.

Why is it important to approach adults with courtesy and respect, using preferred names ?

Thankyou

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
Maybe you could help me with this question.. I finish NVQ in 2 weeks and just have the last few questions now.

This question sounds simple, but i just can't think how to word it.

Why is it important to approach adults with courtesy and respect, using preferred names ?

Thankyou
Try and imagine how you would feel if someone spoke to you and called you something you didn't like?
Some parents want formality, they may like to be called Mrs, Miss or Ms such and such. They may feel afronted that you chose to use their forename or even shorten their name say from Alison to Ali (which they hate) without even asking.

This could be for a variety of reasons, it may be that culture or upbringing deems it rude to take liberties to do this when you barely know them.

An older parent or grandparent may not want someone in their twenties to use their forename as they feel it is a lack of respect from the younger generation or just feel it is too familiar from someone they don't know.

The above won't get you on the right footing with them and could be the difference between having or not having a good relationship with you - which you need if you are to share information etc

Get to know them and say somehting such as 'I can't keep calling you Thomas's mum/Grandma, may I call you by your name?' That's the cue for them to say to you 'Yes, call me Mrs Jones' or 'Call me Sally.'

I don't know about you, but if I have a salesman on the telephone and they say 'Hi Heidi, how are you today? I'm just calling on behalf of...'

I think , who are they to call me that, I don't know them, how dare they!' and I get rid of them, and am now annoyed that they just assumed I wanted a stranger to call me that. No courtesy/manners, No respect!
Unread 06-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Mockingbird is on a distinguished road

Thankyou Heidi :-)
That has helped no end :-)