Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 05-12-2008, 02:53 PM
jitsuwidow

Hi, narrative observations ?

Hi, I am a total newbie! I have just started my nvq 2 I am placed at a nursery. I am due to hand in 2 narrative observations. this might sound stupid but I am already having trouble as these are my first obs. Can any one give me any help. PLEASE. the observations I am doing are for gms and fms. thanks.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi and welcome to Silkysteps

I've moved this post to it's own thread for everyone to pop by well done on taking on the NVQ !!

Have you got a general sheet to make your observations on ?

Fine & Gross motor skills come in all shapes and sizes are you following the children in freeplay or do you have an activity planned to help focus on these skills ?

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-12-2008, 04:21 PM
noah

probably repeating all you have been told but..

When doing obs write what you see not what you think.. for example if a child is stood crying, write just that, not that you think she is sad, upset .. if one is shouting stamping feet ...do not assume they are angry learn to be factual.

Set a period of time to observe and if possible make sure everyone knows what you are doing as children will always focus on something different and try to distract you, you will find that you are the one they will come to even if others are available. we sometimes have the observer using a clipboard so all staff know what is happening and can divert the children if needed. Get the children used to someone walking around taking notes also helps, eventually they become less conscious of being watched and will play 'normally'.

learn / devise your own version of a shorthand code.. and write up the observation in full as soon as possible after doing it.. surprising what details can be remembered

find an activity to focus on linked to the focus.

we always suggest also ensuring the child is one who is calm, easily watched and at an expected stage of development for the age, don't make it harder than you have to.
Unread 06-05-2008, 07:34 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

if you look in your textbook there is a huge chapter on observations, but basically a narrative is a story telling exactly what the child did, in its simplest form.
"child a walked to the book area, she knelt down on one knee and picked up a book which was on the floor. she opened it using both hands and laid it open on the floor " etc etc.
no assumptions or thoughts of your own just a description, most people call it a written record or descriptive account.