Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 05-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Callycoll

Default Foundation degree - personal statement

Hi everyone. I applying through UCAS to do the foundation degree - REALLY excited!!! BUT ... what should I put in my personal statement. There is room for 4000 words but I seem to have covered it in 300!

Any advice would be great.
Caroline

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

if its through UCAS i think you will find it is 4000 characters not words and that includes spaces! do it straight onto the site and then you can save it and see
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sparky is on a distinguished road

This is what i've been given for things to include:-

Why you want to take the course
Why the subject interests you
Show you understand the content of the course and what you will be studying
Write about any activities that proves your interest in the subject
Why you want to study a Higher Education course

Detail previous work/volunary experiences that are relevant to your chosen course, together with any hobbies, social activities or interests that relate to the course. Also give details of any positions where you hold/held responsibility.

Give detals of any additional achievements you have such (D of E, sporting awards, persoal achievements etc.)

You could say what makes you interesting or special

If you have any special/additional needs, its a good idea to mention it (this will not disavantage you in any way) but givwes them a clear picture

Give details of your future plans after graduation

I hope that helps you. I'm busy trying to get mine right as i'm applying to do my BA (Hons) in Early Years Care and Education.
Unread 05-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Duckling ~~ dipping in to help out ~~

Emma J is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
Can I ask if anyone is doing the foundation stage degree online?. If I want to do it, it's the only way. Does anyone know how much it costs as living on the Isle ofd Man there is no funding?
Help please??
Unread 05-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

SamHill is on a distinguished road

Try the Open University website. They have broken it down into bitesize (large mouths!) chunks. I am investigating doing it this way, starting with the first course, which is equivalent to Level 4 but counts as 60 points towards the Foundation Degree. Will carry on if I want to, or stop there! The first course is about £650 I believe.

Hope that helps.

Sam
Unread 05-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Hi Sam
Thanks for the info, have been looking into the OU but because I live on the Isle of Man it costs about £1500.00 and we dont get funded from anywhere. I will have to save for a while first. My NVQ level 4 is equivalent to 120 points on level 1 of the degree programme.
Thanks
Emma J
Unread 05-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

dkredbaron is on a distinguished road

Hi Emma J,what does 120 points mean will this make the course shorter?confused .com
Unread 05-27-2009, 05:53 PM

Hi dkredbaron,
Sorry I didnt really explain that very well. The foundation degree is made up of 240 you can make up doing different courses, the NVQ level 4 is worth 120 points towards this degree. Hope I explained that better, bad day everyone has chicken pox
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

shaista is on a distinguished road

hi every one i just start my EYFS degree and i am stuck with my first assingment i really dont know how to start.if some one plz help me and mail me a sample assingment,i know once i start it i will do it but at the moment i am stuck and my assingment is due monday 21st june
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaista View Post
hi every one i just start my EYFS degree and i am stuck with my first assingment i really dont know how to start.if some one plz help me and mail me a sample assingment,i know once i start it i will do it but at the moment i am stuck and my assingment is due monday 21st june
Hi Shaista,
The first assignment will be your easiest (but also seem like your hardest!), so it would probably be better to practise your own writing style - everyone else's essays will all be different. I expect your first one will only be about 1500 words? sometimes about a child you know?

Whatever the subject is, try and break it up into sections with you want to write about. Write a little of something, then back it up with theory. Roughly for every thousand words you write, use about 8-10 references - try and use books, although some web sites are alright, such as government publications.

Your first assignment will be a big learning curve, when you get it back with feedback, you will be able to add to or change your style. They won't be too hard on your first one, knowing that you are all in the same boat.

As your word count goes up - so does your knowledge, you'll look back and think how much better you could have done it and also feel that you could have done it in a quarter of the time - but now you have to 'go through it' to get there.
Good Luck.