Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > OFSTED

OFSTED Discuss everything related to Ofsted in here ..

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

dkredbaron is on a distinguished road
Default Crb

could anyone tell me how a setting stands if a level 3 is covering but has no crb for that setting but has one from another setting.
would they be ok to cover?? our committee have said that they rang OFSTED and they said this was fine as long as they had a up to date crbed person on the premises also.i find this very shocking as when i went on child protection course they told me that crbs are not portable.could someone give me some advice thanks in advance

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-24-2010, 08:56 PM

joshie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkredbaron View Post
could anyone tell me how a setting stands if a level 3 is covering but has no crb for that setting but has one from another setting.
would they be ok to cover?? our committee have said that they rang OFSTED and they said this was fine as long as they had a up to date crbed person on the premises also.i find this very shocking as when i went on child protection course they told me that crbs are not portable.could someone give me some advice thanks in advance
I spoke to Ofsted today and she said to me NO WAY transferable.
Technically CRB only worth paper written on on the day its printed.

My last place did this to me and i felt very uncomfortable with this. Eventually i insisted they sorted it for me!
Unread 06-24-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshie View Post
I spoke to Ofsted today and she said to me NO WAY transferable.
Technically CRB only worth paper written on on the day its printed.

My last place did this to me and i felt very uncomfortable with this. Eventually i insisted they sorted it for me!
I am very concerned as i think the committee are lying to me they have done this before and told me all the parent helpers were crbed i later found out they were not.what do i do??whistle blow or leave them to it??
Unread 06-24-2010, 10:27 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

if your the manager then its your head on the block! be a manager ring ofsted and discuss it with them
Unread 06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

I would say it very much depends on the role she is covering!

Just because she is a level three means nothing in CRB terms.
Is she at anytime left alone with children? Does she offer personal care? if the answer to either of these is yes- then should without doubt have a CRB from your setting.

If she is simply emergency coverstaff that is never alone with children, then although good practice would say she should be CRB in reality by the time the CRB has come through she may not be with you anymore!
When we employ new staff we do not wait until the CRB comes through before we employ them - if we did we could end up waiting months. We just ensure we have references and that they are never alone with children at anytime.
Unread 06-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkredbaron View Post
I am very concerned as i think the committee are lying to me they have done this before and told me all the parent helpers were crbed i later found out they were not.what do i do??whistle blow or leave them to it??

You are obviously concerned, and quite rightly so, with all the breaches of safeguarding children we hear so much in the media.

I would definitely ring up Ofsted, not because you want to whistle blow - but because you have a genuine concern about child protection.

You will be able to hear with your own ears what and what is not allowed, it is first hand news instead of second hand news and shows how responsible a practitoner you are.

It's always better to be safe than sorry - I think you are right to err on the side of caution.

I've rung up Ofsted on occasions with queries and have always found them very helpful.
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
You are obviously concerned, and quite rightly so, with all the breaches of safeguarding children we hear so much in the media.

I would definitely ring up Ofsted, not because you want to whistle blow - but because you have a genuine concern about child protection.

You will be able to hear with your own ears what and what is not allowed, it is first hand news instead of second hand news and shows how responsible a practitoner you are.

It's always better to be safe than sorry - I think you are right to err on the side of caution.

I've rung up Ofsted on occasions with queries and have always found them very helpful.
Thanks for all the advice i will give Ofsted a call. as this person is covering my position i think i need to find out a bit more.i cant get it through to the committee how important safeguarding is its so frustratingthanks again everyone