Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 02-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

cutiepie2010 is on a distinguished road
Default Stuck on EYMP 5 OUTCOME 2.1

EYMP 5 UNIT

Explain the ways in which adults can effectivetly support and extend the speech language and communication development of children during the early years

I am struggling to start it off

I know what I need to look at sustained thinking
having conversations instead of constant questions
all about me sheets
joining in activities
repeating the words they say in the correct manner but not critising them
knowing what they call things such as blankie, milk biscuit etc
Talking to babies
reading books etc

I am just struggling to write it all down so it flows. Anyhelp would be really appericative

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

wendy bob is on a distinguished road

Hi Cutiepie,

ways in which adults effectively support and extend speech, language and communication development of children during early years
· Adapting own language – its important to adapt your language according to the child’s needs and abilities, some children who have English as a second language may require you to point to objects and letting them see your face. When speaking to a baby or toddler you would simplify you sentences for them to understand where as the older the child gets the more complex sentences can begin to be used. For example to a 1 year old you may hold out a biscuit and say the word where as an older child you would say would you like a biscuit.
· Scaffolding the child’s language – by repeating key words and whole sentences allows a child to begin to build up putting them all together. You could also do this through songs and actions for example pat a cake if sung on a regular basis the child will begin to sing along and do the actions. When holding a conversation with a child and they only use a few words you could help them extend their language by using their words and adding some more words on.
· Giving children the time and opportunity to communicate – its important to give children time to process what has been said to them and if they don’t answer straight away don’t answer for them, allow them time to respond. In my setting when we are doing reading the lower ability children have to match key words and then read them I allow them time to find the word and time for them to sound out the word this gives them confidence to communicate in a positive way and not feel under pressure. If I feel they are struggling I will give them little hints to make them feel that they have done most of the work for example if the word is DAD I will give them the first sound to help them. Some children will require you to sound them all out but then you must get them to copy you and blend the sounds together whilst giving them time to process what you are telling them.
· Facilitating communication between children and each other – in my setting we very often have games set out where for two to four players this allows the children to communicate between each other and learn how to take turns whilst in small groups, recently I did a cookery activity where I had small groups at a time and they had to decide as a group who would do the mixing first and which colour chocolate eggs to put on the top this encouraged the children to have a small discussion not only about who got to go first but also the amount of rice crispies to put in the bowl and how much chocolate should be melted, as they all got a go at mixing they were very good at taking turns and they all had to put some mixture into cake cases and decorate, its also important to give plenty of praise.
· Learn through play – in my setting we try to use interesting materials to keep the children interested for example sometimes we put food colouring or bubbles into the water trays to make it fun and different and it gets the children talking we use different sized containers for the children to pour water from and encourage language such as full, empty, half full or half empty, we get them to try and guess how many small cups of water it will take to fill the teapot etc. children can learn a lot through play and we change the home corner to what ever the theme is in class for them to build up their language and communication skills. Last term it was the three little pigs building yard and we put words around like huff, puff, house, bricks, wood, straw along with pictures and the children love pretending to build houses, we also got a bag of ice cubes and the children tried to build a house with them and then they were asked how long they thought it would take to melt.
.Working with carers – my setting has just banded all the reading books which the children take home and letters have been sent home to all parents and carers to ask them to encourage their child to get their reading books out every day and do 5 minutes reading with them they have also been told they are welcome in school to discuss this further with a member of staff. They are asked to help children to match their key words and for children who can not yet read the parent could encourage them to tell a made up story or even asking them what they did that day. Parents and carers have also been invited into the school for activities that have been arranged we also recently had one of the children’s grandmother come and give a talk on nursing because the theme in class was people who help us
hope this helps x
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

Foxiea is on a distinguished road

This has help me to thank you Wendy bob :)
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

teabag is on a distinguished road

You've taken so much time to respond Wendy bob and it is much appreciated by those of us who pop in and out of the forums when stuck! Thank you, you've helped me this morning. Assignment complete x