Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 11-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

keys is on a distinguished road
Default Help

Would this be a suitable answer ccld level 3 301.3?
i have just started my level 3 and have been set some work but it was'nt explained properly as my tutor only had an hour to sign me up and set work!!

question was "Reflective account" show how i adapt my way i communicate with children with an different home language

here's my answer

Reflective Account

301.3 PC5

Communication beween a child and an adult can be difficult enough, but with a child who's home language is different from her carers and setting can be harder. As a carer of a child who's care setting speaks a different language from her parent's, i have had to learn to adapt my way of communication between myself and her in order to help her understand what i'am asking and for myself to understand the best way to help take care of her needs.

I have learnt that in order to gain simple but important commands between myself and the child, i had to simplify sentences by turning them into single word such as "No" instead of " No we do not do that as it not nice" she now understands simple commands and i feel that i have gained a better relationship with her.

I have also learnt if i repeat the word to the child whilst asking her simple question she can understand fully what i'am asking and now i get a respond back, such as when offering her a bottle i use the command "Milk" and show her the bottle, she now can ask me "Milk" when she would like to have her bottle. If she doesnt want her bottle she will shake her head from side to side in order to answer no! and up and down to answer yes! thou she has not spoken the "yes or No" command as yet. she also uses yes and no command in order to communicate when she would or would not like to do an activity rather than being upset.

I also showed her the object and repeated the word so she can match the word with the object such as "book", whilst reading to her and "paint" whilst painting pictures.

She can now also ask for her toy comforter by asking for "pooh" which is short for pooh bear, "nappy" which is short for nappy change.

Her parent were very happy for her to be learning simple commands as they speak both english and chinese but they use chinese as a first language in there home setting but are willing for her to speak both languages, they were also helpfull and talked to me and digussed suitable ways to communicate with ther child as they felt this would work best for her.

I decided that a visual way was a great way to communicate with the child as i felt she will benefit from learning simple commands and hoped showing her the object aswell as repeating the word i hoped she would she will find it easier to communicate through showing me an object if she didnt feel she can say the word.

I wasnt given the standards so was'nt sure ANY HELP!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-09-2008, 03:55 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

Have you considered learning key words/phrases in the childs home language?
Encouraging the group to attempt to learn these too?
x
Unread 11-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

rubycat is on a distinguished road
Default 301 communication

You could use a message/picture timetable
sign language
labels around the room in both languages
you also communicate using different facial and body movements, speaking loud, soft, pointing, immitating their actions or needs to clarify with them, the use of action songs, using clapping to learn speed of sound, the beat, learning the syllables in their name.
Plays, songs, poems, rythmes, the use of illiteration to learn new words, phrases.
Braille, feely toys and activites, hand painting, guessing whats inside the box by touch.
The use of technical equipement, telephones, computers, radio, microphone, walkie talkies, etc.
Leading them by the hand, going down to their level, being empathic to their needs or more stern when issues need addressing.

Hope these ideas are useful to you