Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 07-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

goingmad is on a distinguished road
Default Interview Activity

Can anyone help? I have an interview next week and I have to choose my favourite story to a Year 2 class and then lead a discussion for about 20 mins.

The book that springs to mind is The Gruffalo but wondering if anyone has an ideas. I know it's such a tried and tested favourite but should I possibly go with something that is not the norm. I have done a similar task with nursery and did the hungry caterpillar but think that for Yr 2 this is a bit too young.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi
Have you heard of the book Esio trot (Tortoise backwards) by Roald Dahl, my daughter loved this book at that age and still talks about it now. She loved the book so much the school gave it to her as her leaving gift.

Lynne
Unread 07-04-2012, 09:27 PM

Thanks Lynne

I'm not really familiar with that book, that is so nice of your daughters school! I had though of Dahl books but just feel that they are a bit too long. What are your thoughts on the Selfish Crocodile?
Unread 07-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, throwing in with an idea :) how about Aaaarrgghh spider

Along with plastic spiders, there's a bug catch slide that goes nicely with small yoghurt or dessert pots. Discussions on homes, belonging, friends, tolerance, misunderstanding, how being judgemental can discriminate, spiders and phobias!?

Let us know what you choose xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-05-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingmad View Post
Thanks Lynne

I'm not really familiar with that book, that is so nice of your daughters school! I had though of Dahl books but just feel that they are a bit too long. What are your thoughts on the Selfish Crocodile?
Hi

When i thought about Esio trot, i forgot that it is a one off book that you are looking for, Esio trot is more for a long term story that continues each day because this is quite a long story.
I havent heard of Selfish Crocodile but i have just googled it and it sounds really good, you could then talk to the children about friendships, healthcare and lots more so it shouldn't be hard to keep the conversation flowing.

I would also look at the Books that Ruth suggested because Ruth has great knowledge and a lot of great ideas and experience.

Let us know which book you read and how it goes.

Lynne
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:08 AM

Thanks Ruth and Lynne for your ideas! I think the spider one might be aimed for slightly younger than Year 2 but will be keeping it in mind for future!

I have just spoken to the teacher at my children's school and the Gruffalo was suggested straight away and when I asked about the Selfish Crocodile she said that would be great with the use of expression and friendships etc you can talk about.

I'll let you know what I choose, thanks again!
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:53 PM

Just to let you know that I chose The Selfish Crocodile, I got loads of discussion going about the moral of the story etc. Don't find out till Fri, and will be interesting to find out if it was a good choice, but meanwhile have secured a position in another school so am over the moon!!!
Unread 07-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Many congratulations xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-12-2012, 02:20 PM

Thank you, this forum has been invaluable over the last 9 months in achieving my Level 3!
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingmad View Post
Just to let you know that I chose The Selfish Crocodile, I got loads of discussion going about the moral of the story etc. Don't find out till Fri, and will be interesting to find out if it was a good choice, but meanwhile have secured a position in another school so am over the moon!!!
Hi

well done and congratulations

Lynne