Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 01-14-2019, 10:02 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

missminchin is on a distinguished road
I have a question Classroom displays

Can somebody please help! I've got my assessor coming tomorrow and I am expected to discuss the following:

Discuss Displays, need for positive images and how this can be achieved within setting. Need to change environment regularly and how children can be involved?

I am struggling what to say... any ideas to direct me to the right track would be much appreciated!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-14-2019, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi a very warm welcome to the site.

Displays are an excellent way to promote diversity, share information with everyone and they also help to create a welcoming atmosphere.

Pages 185+ if the SLT level 2 handbook explores the importance of displays - search inside the book preview on amazon for the words 'celebrating diversity' and click to page 189.

Positive images help to challenge discrimination, make sure everyone is included, seen as equals and raise awareness of what steryotypes are. For example you might have a wall display showing women and men doing the same jobs, boys and girls playing with the same toys (not just puschairs for girls and cars for boys), and information about different culture and traditions.

Changing displays makes sure the information is up-to-date and reflects what the children are learning about, so for example, parents can see what their children are doing, it also helps to make sure people don't become so used to a display that they 'stop' seeing it, changing displays keeps the environment interesting.

Involving children enables them to take ownership of their learning environment, which gives a sense of belonging and pride in what goes on around them. It also supports children's development - their self-confidence and self-esteem when they're able to see their work being celebrated.

This is from page 173 of the level 3 STL handbook

Displays are an important part of the learning environment as they fulfil a number of different purpposes:
  • presenting informaiton
  • improiving the environment
  • celebrating achievenents and diversity
  • providing a learning resource
  • showing pupil's work
Staff should be continually looking at and assessing displays in their own environment to check that they have not become untidy or out of date. You should also be familiar with your school's display policy so you can check whether displays in your areas meet their requirements. Do not leave the display up for months at a time. They can be chabnged, refreshed or reused in another part of the school.

Thinks about the displays in your school, what do they have on them and how often are they changed?

Best wishes xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-15-2019, 08:12 AM

thank you ever so much!
Unread 01-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Best wishes for today, let us know how it goes xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-27-2019, 02:00 AM

Thank you and sorry for the delay in getting back.

My health and safety assessment went very well. My assessor was very pleased and impressed. Although I have the feeling that it wont last long as I am struggling to keep up with homework. :-(