Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 01-20-2007, 07:44 PM
mrs_s

Default IEP/Play Plan

Hi All

Just wondering if anybody could give me some guidance on planning an Individual Educational Plan/ Play plan.

As a nanny i have very little knowledge and have to do the above for a child study over a period of three months.

Obviously i am observing the child - now aged 13 months.

I have to provide a short,medium and long term plan.

Any info greatly received, or if anyone wouldn't mind sharing a plann with me so i could see what it actually involves.

Many Thanks

Mrs_s

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi

I never wote an IEP as this was handled by our designated SEN coordinator but have done a search for some official information for you .. and I'm sure that anyone here with an example/ideas will post as well

QUOTE TAKEN FROM this page ~ Leics.gov.uk
There is also a downloadable pdf giving the same info but in a printable format, at the foot of their page.

Quote:
An Individual Education Plan or IEP is a record of strategies used to help a child progress.
An IEP is required for all children at Early Years Action or Early Years Action Plus.
The IEP should only record that which is additional to or different from the differentiated curriculum that is normally provided
It should be discussed with the parents
It should be crisply written and focus on three or four targets.
The IEP should record information about the child's;
  • short term targets
  • teaching strategies
  • provision to be put in place
  • date of review
  • outcome of action taken
An IEP
  • Is a planning and working document and a process (Plan-do-review)
  • Indicates areas of difficulty experienced by the child (long term objectives) and identifies his/her immediate learning needs (short-term targets)
  • Outlines a child's individual learning programme and provision that is "extra, distinctive or different"
  • Focuses on up to 4 targets for the children relating to key skills, e.g. communication, social skills, behaviour
  • Matches resources to the child's needs
  • Involves on-going monitoring and regular reviews so that informed decisions can be made about future learning and provision
  • Should be brief, focused, action-based, manageable and easy to use
  • Provides a focus for collaborative educational effort through shared targets and co-ordinated provision
  • Should respond to and meet the child's needs and also the needs of the practitioners and parents/carers
  • Should link in with existing planning, assessment and recording procedures/documents.
What information should be included on an IEP?
  • Name/date of birth/address/telephone number(s) (work and home)
  • Name(s) of those with parental responsibility
  • Additional contact for emergencies (if appropriate)
  • Language(s) spoken at home
  • Date child started at Early Years Group
  • Days/sessions (i.e. a.m. and p.m.) attending
  • Medical information if know (hearing, eye sight, medical condition)
  • Special arrangements/resources (Medication or equipment)
  • Details of other professionals involved
  • Name of key worker at Early Years Group
  • Name of special education needs co-ordinator (SENCO)
  • Code of Practice Stage (i.e. Early Years Action, Action Plus, Statutory Assessment started)
Targets

Long-term Objectives:

These are general and reflect areas of difficulty or concern, e.g.
  • Sam will develop his understanding of language
  • Aliya will improve her hand skills
Short-term Targets

These must be specific and relate to the child's long term-term objectives
  • Sam will indicate the big and little object on request from a choice of two objects
  • Aliya will thread five beads onto a rigid lace.
Writing Targets

A target should:
  • Describe positively what the child will be able to do within an identified period of time as a result of the teaching
  • Specify success criteria
  • Indicate the arrangements, including:-

- Setting
    - Conditions
    - Frequency and duration
    - Resources
Smart Targets

S Specific Is the target short or simple? Does it relate to observable behaviour?
("Look, I can….")
M Measurable / Manageable What are the success criteria? e.g. The child complete the task 4 out of 5 times
A Achievable Is the child likely to achieve this target within the time available.
Are you able to use a "small steps approach to achieve the target?
R Relevant Is the target appropriate for the child's current development level and ability?
Will the child be able to make use of the skill?
T Timed Is the target a short-term one that can be reviewed in approximately 4 months?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-21-2007, 09:24 PM
mrs_s

Thankyou Ruthie,the info really helps
Mrs_s
Unread 01-23-2007, 03:44 AM
strawberrykisses

hiya ive only every heard of IEPs at like a curriculum level - 3-5 or 5-14 so im not much use sorry
Unread 01-23-2007, 03:58 AM
strawberrykisses

see where it says "Sam will develop his understanding of language" if i was writing targets like that id be more specific. as its contradictory to the SMART steps anyway. as an objective has to be measurable and clear. developing understadning of language could mean a huge range of things. but by addition of another few words the target becomes understandable to everyone - eg

Sam will develop his understanding of language by joining words together to make clear sentences.
OR

Sam will develop his understanding of language by using a larger range of nouns.

Then anyone who picks up the IEP (eg a stand in person/a health visitor) can see (for example 1) to encourage him to use sentences, like if he says two words they can repeat what he has said but in sentence form so as to develop this in his mind.

and for example 2 then by looking at his IEP theyd know it would be helpful to look at picture books and talk about names of objects and thier colours etc.

Sorry im rambling lol, I guess it maybe different but i just know from my course that a target has to be more clear etc, so just a wee handy hint for ya