Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 03-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

shells and bells is on a distinguished road
15 Minutes activity

Hi,

I have very recently finished my NVQ 3. . I have an interview next friday, and I have to deliver a 15 min speaking and listening session where children sort familiar objects too dentify their similarities and differences, making choices and justifying decisions. The children are KS1, and I have to provide my own objects.

I have never done anything like this before. has anyone got any advice on whats good and whats not. I have to provide a written plan for the interview panel.

This seems so daunting.

I really would appreciate any help.

Shelley.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

Put your groups of objects maybe various fruit and vegetables on a table and ask a small group to "SORT" them out, Let them "sort" and them ask "Why did you sort that way"...... Allow for answers and then ask " What is a different way we could sort them"

I did this with a preschool group showing some students we have an example of Problem Solving and classifying.

They sorted them first into colours, then when asked for a different way did ones they like and dont like, then next time they did ones you cook, I had some multi national ones too and some of the children sorted them into ones they hadn't seen. Since yours are older you could have them make graphs too. By letting them choose how to group them its allowing the activity to be child led but adult assisted.
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Can you incorporate Ray's (fruit) suggestion above into a story such as 'Handa's Surprise'?

You could get all the fruit together in a flat edged basket(whether plastic, real or a mixture of both) as well as the different fruit that can be counted, sorted and compared (shape/size/texture/taste), you have the animals to look at as well - stripes on the zebra, pattern on the giraffe, hairy monkey, etc.

Reading a 'living' story such as this will get good interaction and you'll not feel the time is a 'trial'.
Unread 03-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

shells and bells is on a distinguished road

Thank you.
I had though about asking them to sort fruit/veg, by colours and size, then asking which they liked and disliked, I though I may do mainly common fruit/veg but would put in some which werent so common, and then maybe ask if they knew where the fruit/veg grew and if they grow on top the ground or below.

How do you do a lesson plan? anyone know. Ive googled it, but can only find secondary examples.

Thank you.