Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 01-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

derynjoe is on a distinguished road
Default Diploma Level 3 CYP, Worried Im behind????

Hello,

I know I shouldn't compare, but I was wondering how new starters (sept 10) were getting along, I cant believe how much research we have to do not to mention the depth of the assignments!!!

We are having 1 unit a week delivered in underpinning sessions, its impossible to produce an assignment (around 10 pages) inbetween sessions beside going to work and looking after the family, so they are piling up eeeek.

Ive had two assignments assessed and one observation so I have two units where all criterias have a mark against them, a start I suppose, I have made decent progress on two other assignments, but about 4 are sat waiting.

Can't help but worry as it's been years since Iv'e studied!! Please don't tell me you have all had 5 units signed off lol:rotfl:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-11-2011, 11:36 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

im afraid this is down to poor induction and planning. didnt they go through what was expected of you prior to the course? if so didnt you believe them? my learners are dong it over a year they have the same 17 assignments t produce and 4 observations to fit in but it is equivalent to 3 a levels so of course it is demanding. they were all interviewed and had log discussions with me and the learning team, those who werent going to meet the expectations were withdrawn pre half term, we dont get funded if people fail or withdraw past then. its a hard truth that fitting a full a level course into a year part time is hard, very hard and demanding there are no short cuts. i am seriously contemplating running it over 2 years next year. having said that it is a superb course much more rigorous and demanding producing much more knowledgeable staff, which is a very good thing following the debacle of NVQs n recent years. children are worth it arent they? wearing my other hat as an owner i cant wait for dcypw students to enter the workforce if they have been on a taught course i know they will have had infinitely better training
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, it does seem it'll take a fairly gifted person to comit to everything that the diploma involves.

If you're fortunate to have a lv2 nvq and do find yourself moving away from the diploma, it'll be early years management's loss and hopefully plays gain :), get in touch with other providers in your area & take a range of drama, art, music, health, development and learning knowledge into work with you.

Children are worth you finding out things that help open doors, gaining a formal qualification isn't the only way to do this.

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:16 PM

The induction was very good, she discouraged people that weren't up to it, it seems that it was all very last minute for most organisations though, so I'm sure providers will be better prepared next academic year.

I did expect the fast pace, I just had it in my head that I would be able to produce an assignment in-between sessions, but the ones I have finished have been marked off as excellent with nothing to add, so I suppose I’m producing quality rather than quantity!!!!!!

We are very lucky, we have until December rather than the end of the academic year, but I'm sure that will come around quickly. I’m definitely going to be more self disciplined with the study time.

I agree about the course, there's much more to it, there are a few on my course who have just completed the NVQ 2 and they too are finding there’s a lot more to do than they realised.

I’m excited that I will be one of the first lot to have it :-)
Unread 01-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Tink86 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am also on this course. I started in november and it finishes in may!!
Everyone on my course is behind and finding it very hard. We have already had three people leave!

We have an ongoing assignmnet where we have to carry out 6 observations, we have just got given another three page assignmnet and were getting another assignmnet next week. Being a single parent and working 4 day's a week i am finding this course impossible. Myself and eveyone else wishes it stayed as the NVQ and made that more in depth.
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:37 PM

Helllo, Tink 86

Maybe its worth you and your fellow students getting together and asking for it to be extended, rather than everybody failing to get the full Diploma, most colleges in our area refused to start it untill the teething problems have been ironed out, our Tutor negotiated the extension knowing it would be a struggle for anybody, she has said she dosen't know how next years class will manage.

Nursery World published a bad review last month on the course, it also said that the CWDC were considering an extension on NVQ's

I personally think it's a really good course, although the suggested duration seems to be unrealistic.

I'm more determined than ever now!!
Good Luck
Unread 01-13-2011, 04:11 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by derynjoe View Post
Helllo, Tink 86

Nursery World published a bad review last month on the course, it also said that the CWDC were considering an extension on NVQ's

I personally think it's a really good course, although the suggested duration seems to be unrealistic.

I'm more determined than ever now!!
Good Luck
they didnt publish a bad review they published a committees opinion of it, you have to read who the committee are and what their involvement is to understand their criticisms, suffice it to say they are not completely independent! having met with lecturers from colleges all over the country who are delivering it everyone of them i have spoken to loves it but we need to retrain managers into releasing staff for quality training not quick cheap training and that will be the biggest hurdle. too many private providers and too many cheap managers and learners who think they can complete quality training quickly and who think they know far more than they actually do!
Unread 01-14-2011, 07:53 PM

Claire36 is on a distinguished road
Default I know how you feel ....

I started the CACHE level 3 Diploma course in September 2010, having completed the level 2 NVQ in 2010.

I'm also finding it difficult especially the amount of work that is expected.

Unfortunately the College I'm with changed the course from an evening class for 38 weeks to one evening and one morning, unfortunately due to work committments I'm unable to attent the morning session.

This tends to mean that the evening session is used for logging work and addressing feedback from previous assignments. To date I don't think I've learnt anything - it's definitely a case of learning through working, reasearch and reading loads!! I'm really disappointed by the time at College as I was really looking forward to professional advice and discussions. Unfortunately my Tutor seems to have be given a rough time too, not enough help, time etc.

At present I've had SCH31, SCH32, SCH33 signed off and I'm very close to having SCH34, EYMP2 and CYP Core 3.4 signed off, just need to demonstrate a couple of things.

Good luck to everyone - I'm very concerned that I won't have the necessary 65 credits to pass by the end of July - fingers, well everything crossed!!!!! :reading:
Unread 01-15-2011, 06:22 PM

Racheleuro is on a distinguished road

Hi I started in Ocober 2010 I have completed and had signed off
Sch1
Sch2
Sch3
Sch4
Also
3,1 3,4..... Man it's a lot of work to fit in between a full time job and two kids, and a home to run...But also it is a very interesting course and making me far more knowledgeable in what I do.
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:16 PM

cakeymakey is on a distinguished road

Hi I started the course in September 2010 too. I have since completed all the assignments in 023,026 and 031 and had them signed off by my tutor. I have also have Unit 024 and Unit 068 signed of by my accessor.

I agree that it is a lot of work to put in as I too work and have children.....stayed up many nights gone midnight finishing the assignments........ but the course is interesting and I have learnt so many things I didnt know since been on the course.

The text book from Amazon (£20) Children and Young Peoples Workforce Level 3 Diploma is brilliant for assignment help. I found it a week after I started the course on Amazon (the tutors didnt even know a book was even around for the course) and it is fab. Some of the others on the course have since bought the book and they too agree it is worth having as it is suited for the course and uptodate!