Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 10-23-2009, 05:20 PM
loo-lar

Default Foundation degree at 43?

Do I go ahead and enrol for this degree? Im a little scared incase its out of my depth. Managed nvq 2 and 3 recently, love my job in the pre school, enjoy going on short training courses and workshops keeping up to date on early years. Ive also just completed senco training. Just wanting to no if anyone else had doubts to begin with but has since started the degree and is enjoying the work load. I think im frightened incase i will find it such a huge jump course work load from the nvqs. Also where can the degree take you work wise? Im 43 and sometimes im thinking youve achived a lot doing the level 3.(didnt think i could do that either, completed it in 7 months) All replys are very welcome.....thankyou lou x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Age isn't a worry. Just make sure you do it for the right reasons. You will/would find the method of study very different from NVQs....but if you look into it and decide to do it you may surprise yourself.
The one thing I would say is that you do need to 'want to do it' - don't do it if you are only doing it to please others!! It's hard going, but do-able and the sense of acheivement is amazing. I went on to do the full BAhons - something I never thought I would do. xx
Unread 10-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

midgetgem67 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi i am 42 and have just enrolled with the ou to start my degree, still wondering if i have done the right thing . I have done nvqs 2 and 3 and many other short courses. My materials have arrived and i think oh my what have i done , but i definately want to do it so i am going to go for it think i may be mad or end up mad xx My thoughts are i can only fail !!!
Unread 10-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetgem67 View Post
Hi i am 42 and have just enrolled with the ou to start my degree, still wondering if i have done the right thing . I have done nvqs 2 and 3 and many other short courses. My materials have arrived and i think oh my what have i done , but i definately want to do it so i am going to go for it think i may be mad or end up mad xx My thoughts are i can only fail !!!

Good luck and enjoy!! you are doing it for all the right reasons -you want to!

There are times you wonder why, but it will be worth it in the end.

.........and remember, there's lots of us here to give help and support when the goings tuff!!
xxx
Unread 10-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road

You are never too old to learn! I've justed started the F.D. I am 45, got 8 kids, work as a childminder and in a preschool-its hard work but worth it- we have learnt so much in our first half term. Even if you only do the first year you will have a level 4. I would definitely go for it, just get very well organised before you start! Good luckxxx
Unread 10-24-2009, 09:01 AM
loo-lar

Thanks for all your replys. Got some thinking to do,
Unread 11-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Narnia is on a distinguished road

i was 55 when i started my FD course................and at the start of my second year, I found out I had breast cancer.I have continued through the Fd ( yes, with extensions for the essays and lots of help from some wonderful people!), been through surgery, chemo and radiotherapy.Kept up my time for the most part at my setting too,Not bragging, 'cos it's been horrid............BUT the point is this...if I can do it, so can you!! do not worry about the academic language, that will come, i promise, when you do the readings, and of course, your tutors will help all they can.GO FOR IT!!
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

twizz is on a distinguished road

Hi like you i was scared i did my level 3 last year took me 6months at the ripe old age of 55. Go for it im looking to at doing FD