Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 04-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

heidib1 is on a distinguished road
Help SOS after school club help please

Hi I work at a relatively new after school club based in the local primary school, it was set up in abit of a rush and I'm not sure if what we are doing is correct. At the moment the kids come in and just have free time the whole time they are there, some stay there for an hr some two hrs. Should we be doing something more structured and have plans? non of the staff have ever worked in an after school club before and so the advice would be great. I can't find anything on the internet that doesn't talk about specific clubs, art, music, football etc. I couldn't even find anything on Ofsted to help me.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

It depends on the ages of the children - if they are in the EYFS age group (up to year 1 at school) then the current requirements state that the Eyfs must be used to inform their care.

Do the older children get fed up ? Do the routines you currently have in place support them? Are they busy? Is their school learning being complemented by the care you are offering?

Maybe have a meeting of staff and discuss some of the concerns... then reflect on how things can be improved.

Hth
Unread 04-29-2012, 02:30 PM

heidib1 is on a distinguished road
Hi we have a few reception year children occasionally and 1 regular preschooler on just one day a week. So these children need observations doing like in a preschool setting?
The older kids as a rule occupy themselves with games and making up their own craft ideas if we don't have any particular craft going.
Do you know where I can download any guidlines for the after school club as I haven't come across anything on the internet that appears relevant.
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

glasses girl is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Try looking on the Out of School Alliance site.
Lots of help there.
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:50 AM

shirley3593 is on a distinguished road

I help run and afterschool club and used to run holiday clubs previously. 'Playworkers' will say let children do want they want when they want ( within reason). Yes do a little planning that will cover you for ofsted if they visit, but ask the children what they would like to do (say ) next week and try and do those activities. Mine like making jelly and angel delight, making Rocky Road, Hama Beads, decorating plates and masks. Our new theme is the Olympics. So we making bunting,flags,medals, trying different sports. Pick a theme and then brainstorm from that. It is amazing what the children can think of.
Good luck.
Unread 06-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

That sounds great, & with there being vegetarian, vegan - gelatin, dairy & nut free recipes for allergy sufferers it helps make jelly & the marshmallows for rocky road much more flexible/inclusive, sweet vegan have tasty mini-mallows :) the store uses paypal

This older thread is a good out of school discussion

The eyfs framework is necessary, as part of a setting's EY's registration with ofsted, where children are in the care of an organisation without parental presence for 2 or more hours per day. Ofsted's guide to registration pages 7 & 8 will help

This is from the new 2012 eyfs document that takes effect this Sept:
Quote:
Wrap around and holiday providers
1.3 Wrap around*3 and holiday providers*4 should be guided by, but do not necessarily need to meet, all the learning and development requirements. Practitioners should discuss with parents and/or carers (and other practitioners and providers as appropriate) the support they intend to offer, seeking to complement learning in settings in which children spend more time.

*3 Care offered before and after a school day, e.g. by an after school club or by a childminder.
*4 Provision exclusively in the school holidays.
information for England's ey's framework on silkysteps

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers