Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 08-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Possum is on a distinguished road

That's sad, Daisypops. We all get these low bits though - there's been times when I've not enjoyed it, but something always comes along to brighten things up. Sometimes that's a change of direction and sometimes it's just a matter of changing something small

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Wasp

hi daisy pops
don't give up i know people who have just finished lv3 it was hard going but worth it in the end

we all get low but remember the kids need us and thats all that matters
Possum has made me feel very welcome and i am sure others will as well
i did not do level 3 but if i can help in any way just let me know
Unread 08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisypops View Post
hello possum and wasp! Just reading your comments on diplomas/degrees etc; then theres little me trying to get NVQ3 out the way!! How do you do it?
I've been involved with the Early years for 16 years on and off - 8 of those full time. Not enjoying my work at the moment, feeling a bit disallusioned by it... Never thought I'd feel like that as always loved going into my workplace...
Daisypops it sounds like you're really having a rough time at the moment- have you spoken to your assessor about how you feel? The current NVQ is very repetative at times- and as an expreienced practitioner you must be feeling very frustrated by it (especially as you seem to be being made to write so much)
The role of the assessor is to support and guide you through this - not put you off childcare for life!!!! You should be working together planning the best and easiest route for you.
Unread 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Wasp

Cabin is right Dasypops
you are probably doing all the right things but like me it is getting it down on paper. your assessor is there to help so don't be afraid to ask
when i started i was petrified as i had not done any proper courses in at least 5 years only the updating that everyone has to do every year

Enjoy the course and enjoy the children thats all that counts

when all the new qualifications came out i thought the government were saying that us oldie's had to go so to prove them wrong i am going do do lv4 experience is what counts but as yet the ones in the big offices can't see it:soapbox: Don't get me started on that one
keep in touch
Unread 08-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

daisypops is on a distinguished road
Thank you

good evening! Thanks for your comments, its good to know that people empathise with me! Wasp - theres alot of us who think the same about that, maybe there should be some kind of petition... I have spoken to my assessor a few times, he knows thatI am not happy, he is very kind but i get the feeling he wants to get as many students through as quick as poss, hes also quite new to the job so is probably very 'by the book'; also hes an in house assessor, we all have to have him as our boss says so!!!!!!! I do enjoy being with the children just not v happy with my place of work... Anyway, off out 2mo to an adventure park with my family so will have fun! Life is for living
Unread 08-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Wasp

Smile

enjoy your adventure
i am off to dig spuds and pick runners
hope you are well possom
this is what i do when things get me down
:blush:
Unread 08-18-2009, 11:32 AM

Daisyposps - just one quick question......what kind of setting are you in now?
I know you said you used to be in session I think?

Only asking as I worked in full daycare - in what was a heavenly place..very old fashioned but sadly on a college site we had to close as we weren't 'viable' and they could make more money converting back to classes. After that I got a job in a full daycare setting..which I hated with a passion-it really made me doubt if I wanted anything more to do with childcare...well I then got a job in 'pre-school/playgroup' type of setting.........and I'm back to loving it again.
xxxx
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

daisypops is on a distinguished road

Hello Cabin; I used to work in an old fashioned style preschool, like you I really loved it there, but I had 2 leave. Decided to do nVQ3 so now got placement in daycare centre -feel just how you described,really gets me down, want my old job back! Have to move on though I guess but it is difficult. Glad you are happy now, do you get all the hols off?
Unread 08-18-2009, 07:58 PM

Well that explains you feeling low!!!

Yes I have the hols off - but funnily enough that the only bit of my (old) fulldaycare that I miss!.

How much longer are you expecting to be completing your NVQ?........have you thought of taking you CV around to session settings in your area? I'd be more than happy to employ someone with your experience if I knew you were on track to complete the L3 within a set time. xxx
Unread 08-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Possum is on a distinguished road

It's certainly worth sending your CV around, but as a Manager who receives CV's on a regular basis I'd offer a couple of words of advice.
Firstly - and most importantly, NEVER address the accompanying letter to 'Dear Sir/Madam' Find out who is in charge and address it specifically to them. Your local Children's Information Service will have the info, or it will be advertised with the Preschool Notices.
Secondly - sell yourself - say what YOU can offer in the way of up to date training, i.e. you may have had training in sign language or portage or forest schooling which would make you attractive to a potential employer.
Thirdly - don't fib - it's tempting, I know, to exaggerate what you've done, but in the long run you can get caught out and maybe find yourself in a situation you don't know how to handle.
Fourthly - explain what you'd like to do in future, for instance you may be interested in learning about child psychology or something, or mosaic observing - all of these things tell me that someone is really interesting and keen.