Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 10-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road
Default advice wanted please!

Hi everyone I need some objective advice please! I mind a relatives child who is great. Initially this was on the care to learn programme then the relative decided to stop being educated and go on benefits. I am now owed a large amount of money which I haven't hassled for, but its beginning to grate especially as said relative said they can't afford to pay me weekly but is able to go on hols to N.Y. eat takeaways dress child in designer clothes etc my hubby says I should just stop minding for them because they don't work so don't really need me but I feel awkward because its family what do you all think please?:rotfl:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

Hi
This is a very difficult situation...working for friends/family can lead to misunderstandings purely because the relationship is not considered 'business'...your an 'Aunt','Uncle' or a'mate' so it is very difficult to discuss pay and conditions.
I would choose your moment and have a chat with the parents, re-inforce that childminding is your job/business and therefore you do expect payment for caring for their child.
Could you come to an agreement together where they pay you an affordable weekly/monthly amount to reduce the amount they owe you?
I don't envy you but you need to be straight with them, doing this in an honest and non-confrontational way should allow both you and the parents to remain on speaking terms!
x
Unread 10-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

blimey, an awful situation

Do you have anyone in the family that would help out and act as a go between so that things can be sorted out nicely ?

It is way too easy for family to think of minding as a freebie service but as Air said it's your business and they knew that when they first arranged things with you ... shame they left the Care to learn programme :(

huge best wishes and please let us know what happens

Ruth
xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-25-2007, 04:54 PM

thanks for this, I think I will put out a reminder in my next newsletter to all parents/carers reminding them of my fees policy and how it affects the running of my business if fees are paid late/not paid so as not to single out any one family in particular and then if that doesn't work I will put my non-confrontational business head as Air suggests and try and reach a compromise, worst thing is there is achild I care for who would really like an extra day[parents would rather, hopefully the child as well!] the ups and downs of childminding eh?lol! Thanks againxxx
Unread 10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
knotjustjigs

What an awful situation to be in, the advice you have been given is great and i think your right putting it in a newsletter first (assuning the person concerned will read it) you can then tackle it personally if it continues.

Hope it works out for you and you get paid.

Ketty x
Unread 10-26-2007, 07:08 PM

Thanks again everyone for your support I think I will have to be firm on this I've just found out they've booked a holiday to Irelandxx
Unread 11-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Hi everyone, I think I've managed to resolve this. I lay awake all night worrying then drew up a selection of payment options which I gave to mum along with the newsletter.
She's chosen one that will suit everyone and is manageable for her, hopefully we'll be starting next week! Thanks for all your advice and support you've been greatx
Unread 11-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Oh that's great news, well done

Was quite a productive night for you then !!
the cost of ad blockers