Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 04-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Jenna is on a distinguished road
Default Activity to assess risk

Hi guys, my assessor is coming thursday (i work with kids aged 2-5) and she wants to see me do an activity that encourages positive relationships and allows children to assess risk for themselves.

Any ideas?

I was thinking of getting the climbing frame out, and a few other obstacles for them to climb/jump off.
Although im not sure if thats really an activity as im not really involved?

Last edited by Jenna : 04-26-2011 at 02:13 PM.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

shaz03 is on a distinguished road

hi, that sound ok to me..you will be involved as you will explaining what you want your children to do
not only will it promote positive behaviour but also listening and concentration skills,turn taking,anf interaction with others.
good luck xx
Unread 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM

Many thanks for your reply. As it's just a climbing frame and a few other obstacles, do i just sorta encourage them do try things themselves... ? And to encourage positive relationships will that be between myself and the children or child to child?
Unread 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM

Should it be two separate activities? Im guessing i can bring both into the climbing frame really by helping children and getting others to help jump/climb ..hold hands etc
?
Unread 04-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, your presence and a genuine interest in the activity - looking at what's going on is all you need to be highly involved. Child led enables children to risk assess for themselves as part of their playing and exploration - leading their own activity without guided instruction ensures time is taken to see what needs to be done and how that's possible ..

Questions encourage risk to be expressed and disscused - how far to the ground, how far to the top, how will you get down, how are going to get to the top, how safe is that going to be, do your friends get down/up differently, how could you get hurt doing this activity - what are the risks, how will you make sure you don't get hurt - go slow, hold on, look around, tell someone if there is a concern ..

For the youngest children you could get get down to their line of sight and look up at the climbing frame, how tall is it .. are they going to be ok, do they need help, check they know to ask you over whenever they want ..

Knowing any rules that the children have set in place for their safety and well-being - turn taking, no pushing, being patient - understanding we each take our own amount of time to do things, that we each have our own individual way of doing things, recognising and resolving conflict - they pushed, I'm going first, you can't do that' all help to promote positive relationships, child to child, child to adult, adult to child and adult to adult.

A few other risk assessing activities include scissors, cooking, knives, forks, skewers, foods, dressing up resources in varying sizes, heat, sun and fire, balancing, climbing, crawling with a close succession of children - feet to face, jumping, speed - running, weaving, bikes and other wheeled resources, loud noise, colours & symbols that indicate levels of danger, activities that acknowledge fears - spiders, animals, messy play, balloons ..

Hth
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
Should it be two separate activities? Im guessing i can bring both into the climbing frame really by helping children and getting others to help jump/climb ..hold hands etc
?
Also just being there for support if they would like to try things differently e.g climb up differently or slide down on their tummies. you will be there just for support and to help if needed.

Just thought your assessor might want to see your risk assessment for climbing frame (just an idea not sure if she will).
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:45 PM

Thankyou v much that has really helped :) yehh have done a risk assessment :)

She's coming tomorrow..i get so nervous and feel sick :( hate being assessed. Feels like everyone is getting so much further than me! Feel like im not getting anywhere.
Unread 04-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

colleenanderson is on a distinguished road
Default colleenanderson

know how you feel i've been doing mine far too long