Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 03-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

madpeg is on a distinguished road
Default Adult led/child led

Hi, Just asking all nursery and pre-school settings about how much adult led/child led activities they do in their settings.
In my setting we hardly do adult led activities or focused activities and I feel we need to as the children we have going to school in September won't be used to following the teachers instructions or sitting for a length of time.
Our children play alot but my concern is how to we develop the children or experience new things if they are just playing. I know that is how children learn ( I am a level 4) but I would like to have some adult led/focused activities but need more information from other settings before I go to management.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-17-2013, 08:08 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

the general rule in my nurseries is one adult led a day
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Magic Sue is on a distinguished road

Hi, we do 1 adult led activity in our keygroups a day, most of the time this has led on from childrens previous interests.
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

tracey44 is on a distinguished road

Hi In my nursery we have 3 focus groups 2 inside and 1 outside covering a area i.i PD or PSED
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:45 PM

Thank you people. Think I am going to have to gather some staff on board with me and take my case to management. Wish me luck x
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, are you able to find out why adult led activities aren't planned that often? The reasoning there will be the barriers to overcome.

Best wishes with it xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:31 PM

Hi Ruthierhyme,
I know why we don't do adult led activities/focused activities. It's because the child hasn't thought of the idea and they eyfs and mr abc say not too. the eyfs does say a healthy mix of adult led and child led (1.9).
we have now done a few adult led activities, mainly me doing them, but it's a start.
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Does sound like a great start :) it isn't necessarily children's actual ideas / verbal suggestion that informs focussed activity rather the information that can be gathered whilst observing their interests. & you're right the EYFS 2012 framework does controversially support a route towards greater adult led activity.

Best wishes with it xx
the cost of ad blockers