Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

bookpixie is on a distinguished road
General question Buzzy for pain relief

Hi everyone ,
I was wondering if anyone had run across Buzzy for pain relief before?.
We have been looking at alternative ways to help children with pain relief from injections, minor procedures and diabetes ect and we have found this Buzzy UK which keeps popping up in our research we would like to get one for the hospitals children’s unit but we think we may run into trouble with having to freeze the wings as it would mean buying a small freezer just for buzzy because of our infection control policies ect although the idea of the disposable wings will help greatly we would still need the freezer.
I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has heard of someone who has a Buzzy or uses it them selves and if they have found it effective or if they have run into any issues like we have?.
We would really appreciate any input anyone has.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

How cute is that product

I have it on record that if you'd like to get in touch with Beccy at Buzzy4shots.co.uk she'll help point you in the direction of others with experience of buzzy in similiar environments.

Let us know if you get one & any solutions put in place xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:15 PM

Thank you Ruthierhyme,
With everthing that has been going on project wise for updating our play service buzzy has been put on the back burner for the time being but we are collecting data and research to fight our case for when we do approach the powers that be! lol :)
Unread 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM

just wanted to update we finally got a buzzy after handing over research to our ward manager she agreed to let us have a buzzy he arrived yesterday! we are explianing it to the staff first getting them to practice with him on us and each other first toget used to it before trying it on the children.
we agreed to chlor clean buzzy after each patient.
we are going to do our own audit pain chart to give patients to see how effective it is and have been promised more buzzy's if the outcome is positive :) will let you know how it goes :)
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Excellent to have an update thank you, look foward to hearing about the outcome :)
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Just thought I would give another update:
Buzzy seems to be gaining in popularity i've heard from our Drs that they have seen Buzzy in use in other hospitals on their rotations, also and we are getting patients in with conditions like juvinile arthritis and diabetes that have there own home health care buzzy and bring it in for appointments where theyknow a sharp will be happening.
playstaff have helped clinical staff become familarized with Buzzy by doing demo's and awareness boards.
I have noticed buzzy works best on reducing a childs fear significantly enough that children who are very anxious and refusing cannula's or bloods are willing to have them done with Buzzy we tend to use magic cream and of course distraction therapy at the same time this brings the best results.
some children are not keen on having buzzy attachede to their arm or on having the ice wings and instead just simply hold it in their hand during the cannulation.
I would be intrested to see if anyone has any expiernce with Buzzy since I last posted.