Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 10-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

sabm is on a distinguished road
Default Quitting Childminding

Hi there,
I have been a childminder for 3 years. i got a good on my 1st inspection, but i am now considering quitting childminding - i have already been for an interview for a new job!
The reason i am quitting is due to a number of reasons!
Not getting paid enough and on time
Not getting enough quality time with my own children and other half
My home not being a home but more of a nursery
Parents texting at stupid hours
Parents demanding extra thinking you are just there whenever and have no life!!!
and not being fully appreciated for the job you do.

I totally love the time the kids are here which is 7.30am - 6.30pm, we have so much fun playing its great! when i was pregnant i worked up untill the day i went into labour and started back when baby was 2 weeks old!!
Now i just don't have the time or energy once i've finished work to be doing all this paperwork - my brain switches off about 6.30 lol!! its not that i find the planning etc hard, i don't, i have a good system, its just that its either spend time with my kids, bathing them reading them a story and putting them to bed or doing the paperwork...and my kids always win!!!
Are there any other childminders who feel like this??
And i really hope i get my new job!!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you have had a tough time :(

I always advise new childminders to get the right terms and conditions into their business from the start - opening and closing times, expectations for payment, when you will and will not answer your phone etc so that parents understand immediately that while you want to have a friendly relationship with them you are not their new best friend or at their beck and call.

I also do as much as I can while the children are here. That does not mean ignoring them but they do not need my attention every minute of the day so I can jot things down and do obs etc while they are playing.

Maybe if the job interview is not successful you could look at making changes to the way you work and see if you can some of the pressure which is making it not fun at the moment.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

sabm is on a distinguished road

my co-ordinator siad that i can't do any paperwork whilst the children are here apart from the observations? and the attendance register. If i was able to do some paperwork while the children were whilst they were sleeping or eating or engrossed in play, i could get bits done!! is this allowed??
i do enjoy my job, it's just some of the parents i have had and the one couple i have are just a pain!!

thanks for replying xx