Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 08-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

TJS9 is on a distinguished road
Default Safeguarding CYP 3.3

6.3 Explain why it is important to work with the child or young person to ensure they have strategies to protect themselves and make decisions about safety.

Has anyone completed this yet? I have started it but hitting a mental block...

Please help..

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS9 View Post
6.3 Explain why it is important to work with the child or young person to ensure they have strategies to protect themselves and make decisions about safety.

Has anyone completed this yet? I have started it but hitting a mental block...

Please help..
It is important to 'equip' (or empower) children to ensure they have strategies to protect themselves and make decisions because if they don't they may be vulnerable to abuse (of any sort).

From the outset we want to help children/yp gain confidence to speak up - either to say no, and keep safe and not putting themselves in vulnerable or dangerous places. - young people who may be old enough (or perhaps young but those allowed out/roam etc ) and failing this we need to get across that children should not keep secrets but tell a 'safe' person. They should be taught that noone should take advantage of them/do things that they know is not right.

Getting this across will be different for different ages and stages. For very young chlldren you may talk of keeping safe by reading a story such as Red Riding Hood and this will give you an opportunity to talk of keeping safe, staying with their parents, not going off with others and remembering that they can always say no, and tell someone safe about it. The discussion from the story may lead onto general keeping safe and helping them to see how they can help themselves.

For older children/young people your language and the way you put it across
will depend on how you feel best to discuss/deal with this subject.

Children/yp need to have good self-esteem and confidence and a good self image (so important to promote this from a young age) so they know they are important, should be respected by all and know that there are trusted adults their to help them and keep them safe - but that may be another question in ypur unit.

It is important that children have strategies to protect themselves and keep themselves safe as they are usually on their own when they find themselves in an unsafe position.

I'll stop here otherwise it may cross over to other bits of your unit - how a setting can help children in other ways - knowing their body parts, having a body poster, looking out for signs/listening out for language/different/unusual behaviour or inappropriate for their age etc. Sometimes children are not safe in the very place they should be - home and that's why it is an important part of care and education for children/yp to learn what is not acceptable (in a positive ad not frightening method) and how best to protect and keep themselves safe.

I hope this helps a little.
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

TJS9 is on a distinguished road

Thank you it has helped very much
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

shooting star is on a distinguished road

hi i found this helpful,6/4 seams to ask the same thing so should i just put it for 6/3 and 6/4
i seam to be going over lots of things ive already done ,is it just me who feels like this .
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

Louby1977 is on a distinguished road
Highfive feeling the same about 6.3 and 6.4!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting star View Post
hi i found this helpful,6/4 seams to ask the same thing so should i just put it for 6/3 and 6/4
i seam to be going over lots of things ive already done ,is it just me who feels like this .
Just wanted to reassure you that it isn't just you, I have hit a mental block and this is the last bit I need to do on the emotional rollercoaster that this unit has been (I even did outcome 7 before this as it seemed easier!)

I have put them in seperate sections so far but I might change it and put it as one as it just sounds like 6.4 is the how do you do it (I think???)

Anyway, good luck and let me know how you get on
Unread 01-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

chazzar98 is on a distinguished road

hi im doing this question but really struggling :(
Unread 01-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, welcome to the site,

6.3 Explain why it is important to work with the child or young person to ensure they have strategies to protect themselves and make decisions about safety

This quote is from page 128 of the level 3 CYPW handbook on amazon.co.uk

Strategies to help children protect themselves

What do we mean by 'safe'? What ius acceptable behaviour and what is not? Childcare settings - together with agencies such as the NSPCC, Childline and Kidscape - are very important in educating children about looking after themselves. The important thing for all children to remember is that they should never feel uncomfortable about someone they are with or something being done to them.
  • Children and young people need support to be able to keep themselves safe. You can help by:
  • teaching them effectively about the dangers posed by some adults and how to minimise them, including the dangers arising from some aspects of electronic media.
  • teaching them effectively about the dangers involved with substance abuse
  • providing them with effective sex and relationship education, including sexual health risks, and supplementing this with impartial and confidential advice and guidance.
Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers